Why is my bf's daughter so hooked on computer 24/7 instead of the real world?

My bf's daughter is on the computer 24/7 or just about that, When she get's home from school she is on the computer up until 1:30 AM doesn't do anything mostly in of the computer. Her little sister wrote her a note saying she had missed her big sister and she had memories of them hanging out now it's like my bf's daughter is Married to the computer. What can I do do help her get off for once and spend time with family?

Emilyrose200809

Asked by Emilyrose200809 at 3:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Don't let her get on in the first place or give her an hour a day and thats it. You need your BF to back you on this cause if you two are'nt on the same page it will not work. Good Luck i hope it all works out for you.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We set a rule of 1 hour a day, because without it the computer was becoming a time suck. Keep it in a family room or living room where you can enforce that, or lock it when you're not home. You can also use parental controls to prevent log on at certain times, but hopefully that won't be necessary.
    She may not like it at first, but if you can show her that doing other things can be more fun and rewarding, then you will have given her something valuable.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 7:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• She is allowed to be on it 24/7, that is why she is on it so much. Set limits. Put a password on the computer and don't give it to her. Set up parental controls..you can set a time limit on the computer and it will shut down after the limit is over.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Set limits! Turn off the internet. You pay for it, you are the parent, set some rules!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Problem with enforcing is many kids are so computer savvy they get around the system easily. I have the same issue with my older son. It has cost him his grades and we have tried everything too. They are old enough to make choice and they need to be told over and over again that wrong choices = consequences and that can ruin their chances of going to a good college and getting the degree they want. My son is 15 and we tell him that about every day. It hasnt clicked yet and he has to go to summer school .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• This is her parents' job, not yours.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2009