how do I get my 17month old in his toddler bed?

Is it possible? I've been trying for two weeks now, letting him CIO putting him back in bed when he gets up crying to get in bed with me, all of that. He did okay for a little but then backslid. He can climb out of the crib so I am trying the toddler convert part of it. Any tips tricks what to dos please! We are trying for our next baby and I would like my son not to be a baby no more and be able to sleep in a big boy room for himself.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd does that! i know it's mean... but I shut her door and kinda lock her in there til she's asleep... then I go back in later and open the door just in case. That is the ONLY way I've found of getting her to sleep in her bed! Otherwise she would be up all night running around and when i pull her into my bed it adds to her energy! I have to go in and lock us both in there, read about 6 books of her choice. Then she "blows" out the light and I rock her in my arms until her eyes droop. Lay her in her bed and she goes to sleep almost immediately most nights. It takes some times, but you can do it! :) GL
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• For my DD 17 mo what I do/did was put her in the "big girl" bed cuddled w/ her a few mins then pulled a chair up to her door & waited. Each time she climbed out of bed I would put her back in but after saying good night the 1st time I do not cuddle w/ her, tuck her back in, talk to her, or anything. I simply stay close to the door so she can see I'm still there & so I can make sure shes not hurting herself. After 40 mins of climbing out of bed the 1st night she finally stopped doing it all together. She did cry from the bed a lot but eventually fell asleep. When she wakes up in the middle of the night I put her back down & rub her tummy/back for a few mins then dart out of the room. After a couple of weeks of doing this she stopped crying & now just lies in bed for a few mins & falls asleep. She does like to have a fan on though. This worked great for us :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i dont really have any advice, my son didnt fight me, he was ready at 14 months old and has been in one ever since, and the only advice i have for you is to buy bedding she may like or a stuffed animal that she canonly have in the toddler bed
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• A friend of mine told me about the way she did it. Personally I never had to use it.

First Night: Put you DS in his bed, then sit on the floor with your back against the bed. If he gets up place him back into the bed making no eye contact, or speaking to hm.

Once he is used to falling asleep with you there move to a chair across the room. Do the samething as the first night.

Once he is used to falling asleep with you across the room, set a chair in the hall. But leave the door open. Do the samething as the other nights; no eye contact or speaking.

Finally on the last nights move farther down the hall to where your DS can't see you. Again do the samethings as the first few night.

My friend said it took her a total of 4 days. But said itwas well worth it, and her DS realized mommy meant business and that bed time was bed time. Not play time.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009