This is a very serious question (very long) Co-sleeping nightmare.

My DD is 8 1/2 YEARS old and still sleeps in my bed. I need some good ideas to get her to sleep in her bed. She had a sleepover and her and friends slept in the living room without a problem. When she was 3 she would usually sleep through the night in her toddler bed. Then we moved to a one room cabin and had no room for her bed and she had to sleep with me, even though we have long since left that tiny cabin I still cannot get her to sleep in her own room. If she falls asleep in the living room I leave her there. I have tried sleeping in her room with her, after laying there for a full hour after she is asleep I get up and she immediately wakes up. Can anyone out there help me?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 4:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was gonna suggest laying with her til she sleeps then get up... that's what Im doing with my daughter... but since that didnt work...

Mabey try telling her she's a big girl now and needs to sleep in her room and offer rewards if she does sleep in there... it dont have to be big, mabey a trip out to the Dollar Store or something..
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Has she tried to sleep with a stuffed animal ?That might help, it sounds like she just needs another body to lay next to her. See if she will sleep with Teddy or what ever animal she likes.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 7 years and old and I am tried to train her to sleep in her own room. My daughter has the same problem too...it's really a nightmare. I have tried everything that mention above. Reward, stuffed animals....She just keep awaking every hour to look for me until finally I give up and sleep with her. I almost want to give her sleeping pill and keep her to sleep through the night. Sooo..frustrated....Please help, if everyone has a way. Thanks!!!
    SandyDu

Answer by SandyDu at 10:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Maybe a night light and some soothing sounds or soft music as they are going to sleep. ...Maybe even a fan (I always sleep 10x better when the fan is on, due to the sound, not the breeze.)
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem I just put her in bed make sure she uses the bathroom get a drink of water or what ever she will use to get out of bed, then I surround her with stuffed animals and read her a book I still have to leave the light on but it is working most nights.

kristie190

Answer by kristie190 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think Super Nanny has a great idea for this problem. I think you can go to her website and read all about it. Or abc.com has the link too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My DD slept with me until she was 5. We had bunk beds, and as a single mom, I didn't have another room to put her in. When I moved with my DF, we had a separate room for her with her own bed. It was a difficult transition at first, but I'd offer to hold her hand and stay with her until she felt comfortable to stay alone (which didn't take that long, about a week).

When she was alone, I got her a night light, she slept with music and had the door open. I let her know that if she needed anything that she could come wake me up anytime. If she had a bad dream, I'd stay with her, comfort her, and escort her to bed again.

After a while, she became more independent. She still can't sleep without the TV, but neither can my grandmother! She's 9 now, and only gets to sleep with us on fun weekend nights.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 6:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I was a single mom from until my 16 yr old was 10...We slept togehter until i got us twin beds, yet we were still in the same room.
    I got into a serious relationship and moved into his house....she HAD to learn to sleep alone.
    I moved out of his house and once again we were in the same room. Then I bought a futon! and had it in the living room. It was her bed at night.
    Now years later I am married and have a 4yr old son who has slept with me since day one. His dad sleeps on the couch.
    I enable this to the point that I'm useless for advice, I just thought I'd share my situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Put youre foot down! They are old enough to know and be told that they can't sleep in the same be anymore.

I let my now 11 year old sleep with my until she was 5, the day after she turned 54 I told her bye bye off to your bed you go. She has been there ever since, and has NEVER come back into my bed. I put my foot down and let her know that I was not going to allow it anymore.

As for the poster who commented that she was an enabler do the SAME thing!! Before it gets to the point that your marriage suffers more than it does. You need to be sleeping in the same bed and your Dh, that is a big no no to allow a child to come into the marital be for that length of time.

Don't get me wrong on this I did co sleep with all of my kids, but once they turned a year they were out . They need that independant sleep as much as you do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009