5 1/2 week old is constipated

She has been straining while taking a poop and they have been coming out harder than peanut butter, in like little balls. What can I do to help her? Can I give her some apple juice this early?

LittleKMABF

Asked by LittleKMABF at 6:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With her being so young, I'd call the pediatrician... Id normally suggest four ounces of water with a teaspoon of sugar in it, but I don't know since she's so little
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• wow..ive never heard of a lil one with poop nuggets, mabie its the formula....i know when i breast fed i never got that.
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 7:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son did that at that age too...my pediatrician recommended one part prune juice to two parts water. And just about 1 ounce of it will do. I found prune juice at CVS, most stores around here didn't carry it. (indiana)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• put a tablespoon of dark kayro surup in the formula bottle and shake it up real well, do not put it in every bottle just like 2 bottles a day and you can do lower amounts to wean off of the syrup and they should be fine. My pediatrician told me not to give any water or juice while that little. i had this problem with my son and this worked...i had to do it again when he switched over to whole milk.
    revas

Answer by revas at 7:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Same thing happen to my girl that young and the doc said apple juice or room-temp water. They don't get too worried unless it has been days for a poopie diaper.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Talk to your pediatrician FIRST! Before Cafe Mom.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Talk to your pediatrician before doing any thing, this happened with my DD when she was tiny and her doctor did not suggest any of what the other mothers have said... I won't describe what he told me to do, as he instructed me how to do it safely and only a doctor should be involved with a baby this age, Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2009