dane owners

We just got a rescue Dane puppy. Well we'll get her after our return from vacation. Her mom's a small dane weighing in at 90 pounds--dad we're not sure what he weighed. 4 danes (pregnant mom and 3 unneutered males) were dumped at the shelter in town. Anyways enough of the story-always wanted one so my question how much does your dane eat a day and their weight in guesstimation. We had rotties growing up and they all weighted over 120 pounds and some ate a lot and some not so much. Just want to be forwarned. LOL.

pagirl71

Asked by pagirl71 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pets

• Awww, I dont know, but I wish you could post a pic. I love Great Danes.....Congrats on your addition! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'll post a pic when she comes home. She's a merle/ Mostly grey.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i have a great dane i do have to say i dont think it was the best choise my husband ever made. he eats a lot i think if i kept his bowl full all day he would eat all day. he is a year old and is 37 in tall and is about 100 lbs.
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• my friend has a great dane..he is huge!!! I dont know how much he eats, but I know he has a very senstive stomach. If he eats anything except his reg. good food he gets the runs in the house. He goes to the bathroom like a loose cow patty and it takes her one to two hours to scrub carpet. Just warning you becuase they say it is common in Dane's to have sensitive tummies...so I would try table food unless you have a fenced yard :) but he is a great dog!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If you want to read a good tear jerker about a Great Dane read Amazing Gracie. Congrats on your new pup. I don't have any advice as I have medium sized dogs.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• About 6-8 cups a day. We have 2. Sadie is a nice 110lbs. Our puppy who was born on Xmas is probably 80. He is a MONSTER. Very calm, does not really chew, but he is huge!!!!! I do not think he'll be 140lb. as we were told, but 200lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE had two Danes in the past that were 180lbs and 200lbs. I sort of regret getting him because he is a sloppy eater. Makes a mess, but my kids and husband love him.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i've never had a dane, but i've always wanted one. we have a shepherd/husky mix now, and plan on getting a dane in the future - so i can't answer your question but i just wanted to congratulate you on your puppy!!! i've heard/read that danes are great family dogs - sweet dispositions and loveable personalities. i wish you and your addition all the best (i'm so jealous, lol!)!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009