I was watching the History Channel last night and they were showing the Salem witch Trials.. My question is what is a witch and what do they beileve in?

I am somewhat curious. I am not trying to convert or anything but I would like oto know more about differant religons.

Ibelongtojesus

Asked by Ibelongtojesus at 8:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the 1970's the Councl of American Witches (which no longer exists) drew up a list of basic principles for Witches to Follow. Although not all stick to these they are generally accepted.

~Practice rite to attune ourselves with the natural rythm of life forces
    ~Recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibily toward out environment
    ~Acknowledge a depth of power far greater that is apparent to the average person
    ~Conceive the creative power in the universe as both masculine and feminine and value neither gnder above the other.
    ~Recognize both outer worlds and inner, pwychological worlds and we see the interaction of these two dimensions the basis for paranormal and magickal exercises.
    ~Do NOT recognize any authoritarian hierarchy
    ~See Religion, Magick, and wisdom-in-living as being united in the way one views the world and lives in it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well, from what I have learned from the various witches on here, most of them believe in different things. The one thing that ties them together is the fact that all of them cast spells of one form or another. As far as everything else (which god they worship, how they worship), they are as different as every one else.
    And I do what to say that the Salem Witch Trials where a sad example in American history that shows the power of groiuop hysteria. Some of the ways they had of "testing" a witch where just insane. And, even if you passed the test, you would be killed anyway, so what would be the point of the test?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I am Wiccan and have never casted a spell, and not all wiccans cast spells. Not all Wiccans practice the same or follow the same path, There are many paths in the Wiccan belief. There is no wrong way to practice really. I believe in treating others with respect both human and non human. I believe that how ever you choose to treat someone will come back to you (karma).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• See, I never considered Wiccans witches. I know there are people of all faiths that are witches, so I never say there is a specfic religion that goes along with it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well, the first thing you need to understand is that most of the "Witches" that were killed and hunted in those days were NOT witches!

A witch is anyone that practices Witchcraft. They belong to many paths and many faiths. Sometimes you will see someone say I'm a Wiccan Witch or a Pagan Witch or even a Christian Witch. The addition of the word witch beyond their initial chosen religion means that they tend to add the values of a witch to their religious beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• ~Calling ones self a Witch Does not make one a witch. A witch seeks to control the forces within him/her self that make life possible in order to live wiselyand well, without harm to others and in harmony with nature.
    ~Acknowledge that it's the affirmation and fulfillment of life, in a continuation of evolution and development of consciousness, that gives meaning to the universe we know, and our personal role within it.
    ~The only animosity toward other religions or philosophies of life is that its institutions have claimed to be "the one true, right and only way" and have sought to deny freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious beliefs and practices.
    ~Not be threatened by debates on out history of the craft. We are concerned with our presend and our future
    ~We work within Nature for that which contributes to our health and well-being.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The men and women who were hung at Salem where not witches. They were puritans.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• All above are valid points, but one thing to remember also, is that not one of the the people accused and tried for Witchcraft in Salem were actually witches. In fact during the "burning times" (Dark Ages) of all the literally millions of persons, mostly women, who were executed for "witchcraft", most were simply women who dared to be "different" or practiced midwifery and/or herbalism, owned something such as a piece of land that someone else wanted, or frightened people by her looks. Some were simply old women who had outlived the rest of her family and were getting "odd" in their later years. Some were simply nothing more than a simple woman who had a pet cat or dog she talked to, and was considered to be "communing with her familiar" because of it. It was a 7 century-long holocaust of women, carried out by misogynists under the  authority of the Catholic Church.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• well that depends...pagan witch, wiccan witch, wild witch (sole practitioner usually, takes from many different sects of belief, highly ecclectic)

ultimately it is someone who uses gifts from nature/energy/will to do their bidding
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• As stated in pp's those who were accused were NOT a Witch.
    I am a Wiccan - Witch I follow the Wiccan Relgion(more of the Celtic and Native American paths) and practice Witchcraft. Not all Wiccans do this, I have a sister who is Wiccan and will not follow Witchcraft.
    My mother is a Athiest Kitchen Witch she believes in no God of any kind but does believe in Angels, spirits and souls.

Basically Witchcraft is not a religion it is a practice but is used within some of the other Pagan religions.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2009