What do Atheists believe in?

Ibelongtojesus

Asked by Ibelongtojesus at 8:34 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "An Atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist knows that heaven is something for which we should work now - here on earth - for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist thinks that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue, and enjoy it. An Atheist thinks that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment. Therefore, he seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:04 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Science....? They don't really have any spiritual beliefs.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Basically ajquinn said it. Atheists hold NO belief in Gods. They choose to put there faith in cold hard facts and science. They believe that when you die, you're dirt. That when you are born it's not because of any "little miracle" but because to cells met and grew. There is much less question in the life of an Atheist! While some do believe in things like ghosts and/or psychic abilities there is no faith in any ultimate devine power - Just us, and maybe Aliens...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:30 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Atheism is only a word for someone who does not believe in any gods. Other than that, they can believe in anything else they want....ghosts, leprechauns, invisible pink unicorns, whatever LOL Many do put most of their stock in science, but you can't assume they all agree. I am an atheist, but I use the ideologies of Satanism. I've met atheists on here who hate Satanism. So atheist is really a broad term.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• An Atheist knows that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist knows that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man. He wants an ethical way of life. He knows that we cannot rely on a god nor channel action into prayer nor hope for an end to troubles in the hereafter. He knows that we are our brother's keeper and keepers of our lives; that we are responsible persons, that the job is here and the time is now."
    IhartU

• That was a quote Madalyn Murray (later O'Hair) which sums it up nicely!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well, I'm an agnostic atheist. I generally live my life like there is no God. But if undeniable proof was given, I might become a believer. But until that time, I'm skeptical as hell.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Wow. This is so interesting. Do they genearally believe that they weld all power and not God or other being ?
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• yes....instead of praying, you go out and help DO what you want done. No higher power will help you. If an atheist believes in magick (some do), they do not believe it comes from a higher power, they believe it comes from themselves or the earth.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Anything that has evidence to back it up.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009