What's the best over the counter decongestant for my two year old ? He has asthama , and also takes Zyrtec, but needs a decongestant .

detwan

Asked by detwan at 9:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mucinex
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You arent supposed to give a child under the age of four an over the counter decongestant. You can talk to your doctor to see if they will recommend a lower dose of a children's OTC medicine, but they likely won't recommend it. Ours wont until the child is four.

What you can do is run a humidifier or sit with them in the bathroom with a shower running on hot. The steam will help.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:39 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• my dd's ped reccomended mucinex for her & she's 2... she has horrible allergies & the mucinex helps clear up her snot
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't give any without doctor's approval. I would try a humidifier in his room and saline drops in his nose (both of these break up the mucous).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• mucinex is an expectorant, not a decongestant. It thins out the mucus, mostly in the lungs. The actual drug is guaifenesin.

I wouldn't give him anything until you talk to your doctor. Other then OTC meds, the shower and humidifier are both good ideas. So is putting some vicks on his chest, be careful though, if he is really plugged up....loosening up the mucus too fast could start him coughing really bad.

If you can't get in touch with your doctors office, check with the pharmacy you have your meds filled at. Pharmacists are highly trained and they will also have a list of the meds your DS is on already.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• talk to his doctor....they can give you a prescription
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• mucinex thins out the mucus associated with chest congestion, therefore it is a decongestant, look it up if you don't believe me
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If you're going to give him any meds, call the pediatrician first to make sure it's ok. My daughter is older, but she also has asthma. Her doctor recommended Sudafed. I tried Mucinex Cough for her last cold, but it seemed to make her cough more and that did not help her asthma.
    PnMMom

Answer by PnMMom at 12:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009