is it safe to dye my hair while breastfeeding?

Asked by mybabymma at 3:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. There is no proof to it having an effect on the baby. But to be on the safe side, don't let the dye saturate into your scalp :)

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 3:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It should be okay....I don't see why it wouldn't...I even dyed my hair when I was about 20 weeks along during my pregnancy, didn't hurt me or the baby!

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• took this from the LLL website:

"According to the BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, published by La Leche League International, no evidence exists that the nursing mother's use of hair-care products, such as hair dyes and permanents, has any effect on her breastfeeding baby. When a mother uses hair-care products, some of the chemicals will be absorbed through her skin. If her scalp is healthy and intact, less will be absorbed than if the skin on her scalp is scratched or abraded. "

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 3:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It's perfectly ok. I've ben a hairstylist for 7 years and have never heard anything bad happen or heard anything bad COULD happen.

Answer by Linzeekp at 3:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If you are in a well venilated area, and just frost/ highlight it, I think it is safe. To get the chemicals on your scalp might not be a good idea.

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Yes

Answer by suzannekk at 4:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i wouldn't think of how its getting absorbed in your body and why add chemicals when ur breast feeding

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• im a hairstylist and worked around chemicals and colored my hair for nine months of pregnancy.... my baby is extremely healthy.... hair color does not get into your blood system its like lotion or perfume ya know

Answer by pinkcheerio at 12:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2008