how do I get my daughter off of formula?

I had no trouble getting oldest ds off of formula...one day I just handed him a cup of milk and he was on his way. The twins were a little harder..I had to trick them and a scoop of formula and cereal in their milk..just to give them the taste of it. I gradually watered that down and now they go through gallons of milk a week. The girl has issues with drinking thinner drinks...i finally just got her to drink apple juice. She wants nothing to do with milk at all. She will drink out of a cup though. She is 13 months btw.

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I replaced one ounce of the water for the formula with milk and a couple days later did 2 ounces and so on and so on....after a few days your down to just fomula poeder and milk, just use it that way untill you run out of formula. Good Luck!
    Oh and also I wouldnt give her chocolate or strawberry milk. If you do, that may be the only way she will ever drink it. My SIL did that for my niece when she was one, shes three now and wont ever drink regular milk, not even in cereal.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would mix a little milk in w/ her formula, and gradually increase the amount you add. For example, start w/ 2oz. milk and 6oz. formula. Then the next week do half milk, half formula, etc. to get her used to the taste.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i would take her formula away completely and give her milk with cereal, or give her chocolate milk or strawberry milk,
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I pulled my daughter off formula cold turkey. In fact, along with the formula I also took the bottles. I noticed that she connected the bottles with the formula. I started giving her cow milk in a sippy and she's never even looked back at her bottle.
    Hope this helps, Good luck!!
    SBC0110

Answer by SBC0110 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I tried jsut straight milk with my son and he didn't want it, i watered it down, and he still wouldn't have it, so I bought some powered nesquick chocolate and strawberry and would put just a little bit in with the milk and BAM he loves it!
    SwtBunnyThumper

Answer by SwtBunnyThumper at 12:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I was told to do it this way by our pediatric gastrointerologist: every other day replace one ounce of formula with one ounce of milk in one bottle. When you get to half milk/half formula, you can make them all that way and continue to decrease the formula by an ounce and increase the milk by an ounce every other day.

Since I warmed all their bottles, I also warmed the straight milk (well soy in our case because of a dairy allergy) for a couple of days and then I just gave it to them cold and they were fine. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• See sil told me to do a 8 ounce bottle with four ounces worth of formula...that isn't working at all. All it does is make her want another bottle. I am going to try the formula and milk thing. Thanks ladies!
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Some will go cold-turkey and some need a little transition time. When we changed from formula, we were told by the nurse to do 6oz formula & 2 oz milk for a couple of days, then 4 & 4 for a couple of days, then 2 formula & 6 milk for a couple of days. I think it took about a week, but he got it. We also were going from soy formula to cow's milk and were hoping that he did OK, and he has had no problems at all. Good luck! (PS-If yours needs to do 1/7, 2/6, 3/5, 4/4, etc. then do that, just know that she won't be asking for formula in kingergarten, LOL! ) Baby steps....
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2009