Cereal

What exactly can happen if you give a baby cereal too early. I'm just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is 2.5 months and i've been giving her rice cereal since she was 5 weeks old.. she's doing great, extremely healthy! i hear it can cause problems with their digestive tract if given too early but so far so good with my baby! but every baby is different, ask your doctor!
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 10:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i had to give my son cereal at 1 month becuase of vomiting, youre supposed to give them 1 tablespoon of cereal per ounce of formula
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• There are risks to giving cereal before baby is at least 4-6mos. old. The risks include: choking, allergies, overeating, obesity, constipation, diabetes, upset stomach, and other feeding and digestive problems. Often times some these will not show up until much later in life (adulthood) so you may have no way of knowing how the early cereal will affect your baby. Babies are not able to digest anything other than breastmilk and/or formula before they are at least 4-6mo. old. Now, I am not saying these things WILL happen to your baby, but there is a risk that parents should be aware of.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Check this site out... http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp it explains a few things much better than I could

Anonymous

• constipation, i think. allergies but that is wiht any new food. look, my kids had it early. i had it early. if he's still hungry after that bottle and that's what you think you should do, go for it. just start slowly. people are way too worried about this kind of stuff.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• people are def. wayyy more worried about this and a thousand other things with children/babies today. Back in the day, doctors ALWAYS reccomended to give children the cereal at the younger ages stated above. Your doc. or peditrician may say yes, or no but ask around to different ones, and im sure youll get alot of them telling you it is good.
    mammajulez

Answer by mammajulez at 10:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009