How do I know if my child has ADHD?

I mentioned to my sons doc. that he has loud outburst, and is very impulsive and full of energy but he has not done any test. I have been reading what I can about ADHD and some things do fall in line with my childs behavior what should I do to get him on the test needed because his behavior is affecting school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• most dr will tell you that it is there age and there really isnt way to tell if it is adhd at this age. ive tried
    angelmamma07

Answer by angelmamma07 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It depends on how old he is. most kids are not tested or diagnosed until they start school, b/c that is when it becomes very clear that it is more than just their age. IF you really feel it is an issue, then you may just have to speak up and tell the dr you'd like him to test your son for ADHD, that's what I had to do. HOWEVER, please, before you do that, do some research on other ways to treat ADHD, such as dietary changes, natural supplements, things you can do at home to help. I only say this b/c drs generally just prescribe meds for it. In my children's case, that is what we needed, b/c the other stuff didn't help enough, but I feel it's always best to try to treat it naturally first, b/c the drugs do have potential side effects, and with or without insurance, can often be very expensive, not to mention that you don't alway find the right drug right off the bat, and have to switch several times. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I just found out my 4 yr old son has adhd and he was acting the same way.I called the hospitol up here to find out about having him tested for it as well.They had me talk to a behavior specialist and first thought it was to do with sleeping.Well she got to see for herself and got him on some meds.I think you should see if there is a B/S that you could take him to find out.I also told my dr and he did nothing.Sometimes our normal dr's just dont thourouly check.Good Luck.
    ~krazymomma427
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Having read the diagnostic tool for ADD and ADHD, as well as the description in the DSM-V, I have to admit, it all looks a little bit like little boy behaviour is unwelcome... and there is a drug we can sell to 'fix' that, yay!

One interesting piece of research I only caught a bit of (interview with the lead researcher) indicated that with 20 minutes a day of a parent doing nothing else (not reading, writing, talking to anyone) with no electronics on in the room/within hearing range (no radio, tv, computer, iPhone, game console, etc), even without the parent actually interacting with the kid, all the symptoms of ADD/ADHD went away.

Another interesting piece of research suggests that a lack of essential fatty acids, coupled with too many optional fatty acids, create the brain conditions for the behaviours, and supplements like freshly-ground flax seed, avocado, salmon & mackerel and sardines make them go away,
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You really shouldn't put a 4 year old on adhd meds if it can be avoided. As someone stated earlier they can have very negative side effects, don't always work, and even say on most of the bottles not recommended for children under 6. Most 4 year old boys are hyperactive and impulsive its when they don't grow out of it by 6 or 7 that dr.'s start to wonder about add and adhd. If your that concerned however seeing a behavior specialist was an excellent piece of advice. Your local children's hospital would have information on one near you if your pediatrician isn't helpful.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Dear God.. Dont put your child on meds. Dietary changes may help you tremendously. I started babysitting a little 4year old yesterday that is on Ritalin. When he takes it, the little boy is gone, and you are left with a shell of a kid who seems out of it. He gets OCD, and sits with a ball and bounces it, when he messes up, he freaks out. Its very sad. I REFUSED to give him his medicine today, and while he was hyper like my 4yr old is, he was still a little boy, he was happy, he smiled, he played. I called DHS on his mother today as well, she is using the Ritalin as a cop out and is not dealing with her childs issues. I talked with his Dr. today as well, and she has canceled all refills on his Ritalin. Thank Goodness. Do not use meds to supress your child. Do what most of us do, deal with it, suck it up, and threaten to run away everyday. Taking Ritalin also stunts growth, physically and mentally cont..
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My 20yr old BIL was on it from ages like 7-18. His mind is that of a 14 year old. He is now 20. Its very sad. Had he not been on Ritalin, maybe he would be mature now, but the Ritalin does that to kids. What I did for my lil girl, is cut out all sugars, all fruits that turn into sugar. She gets milk, or water to drink and no red dyes. Her behavior is so much better. She was a handful too.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2009