Moms with clean houses, how do you do it?

I have never been a great cleaner, but I'm tired of my house being messy. I've got a 15 month old daughter and a wonderful (and helpful!) husband, and I don't want to give up all of my time with them to be cleaning constantly or have them spending all their time cleaning either. We've got tile floors throughout our house, with carpet in the bedrooms.

How do you balance cleaning and family? What are your routines? And how do you banish the ever-present clutter?

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 11:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I hate cleaning, it takes me away from playing with the baby girl. I decided I was only doing laundry on Mondays and Fridays, other wise I felt like I was always doing it. Now it can wait until that day. Hubby does the dishes. Other cleaning gets spread out (like floors once a week, bathroom once a week, etc) I guess I just schedule it. Oh and I do a quick pick up every day, so there's not as much clutter. I try to spend as little time as possible on it since it doesn't really matter whether I have a clean house or not, but the baby girl is only going to be a baby for so long. That is more important to me than a clean house!!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I make my son (19 months) help me clean. He picks up his toys and puts them in his toy box. He puts dirty laundry in the laundry hamper, the dishes in the sink, and he puts trash in the trash bin. Gotta train them early!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Every night we (my husband and I together) do one load of dishes and one load of laundry to keep it under control. We have a schedule set up to clean one room each night. We set a timer and clean for 20 minutes. My son is responsible for cleaning up his toys from the living room and keeping his room clean every night. When we clean, he cleans. This keeps the house livable and still gives us plenty of time to make dinner, play with the kids and just relax.

On Saturday, we don't clean except for the standard one load of dishes and one load of laundry.

Then, on Sunday we spend about two hours cleaning up the spots we didn't get to during the week such as going through the mail, washing the linens, scrubbing the toilet and shower, etc.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I de-clutter and thoroughly clean once a week, every Friday. I go through all the papers that have accumulated through the week and throw out and sort. Then my kids and I plow through the house and clean everything. Usually with dance music going in the background, makes it more fun for all of us. The floors get scrubbed (I have hardwood floors in half the house and carpet in the bedrooms) and vacuumed, the windows get washed, the tables get polished, dust bunnies get tossed in the garbage, toys put away, laundry gets washed and put away... yadda, yadda. Everyday I do a little cleaning (light sweeping, wiping kitchen counters, toys put up, etc) but my major cleaning is on Friday. The first 2-3 weeks I did this, it was tough. Felt like it was never-ending. But now that I've gotten it down, it takes maybe 4 hours, tops, to clean my 1800 square foot home.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well what I did was devote 1 day to cleaning the entire house. Getting rid of clutter, cleaning out closets etc. One all that is done, it makes it a lot easier to maintain a clean house everyday because all you really have to do is wipe things down and put away the things that got taken out during the day. I just to have a messy house but when I started staying home, that's what I did and it really did help me to keep the house clean everyday
    jaysmommy08

Answer by jaysmommy08 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• butterflyI do one room at a time. I can't do everything. Just a little at a time.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 12:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My kids are 9, 4, and 2. I sing clean up songs (just make them up) to get the little ones motivated to help. Also I have a schedule of what I do everyday. There is everyday things like dishes, laundry, floors, etc. then my schedule has things like monday,wed & friday is bathrooms, and tues and thursday is dusting and cobwebs, Wednesday is cleaning out the fridge. Stuff like that. Keep the list managable so that you can get it done. Then the first weekend in the month I take care of things like washing curtains, or outside windows.Things that dont need to be taken care of as often as everything else. If you do a little extra everyday it makes a big difference. I basically clean and pick up most the day. You got to keep on it so it cant get bad. I usually put on some music and me and the little ones, dance and clean. lol its fun. they love it and see cleaning as something thats not so bad
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would begin by having a de-clutter day or few days or take even a week to get rid of all the stuff you don't want to have to clean over, under and around. :) To me, less is more. I like a junk free home, but occassionally I begin to bring in stuff. Just stuff. Then I have to take a day or so to de-clutter, usually around the season changes.

After you declutter, then find way to store and keep the things you need, use and love. There are all kinds of neat plastic containers for under the bed, in the closet (like plastic drawer systems to give you more space for clothes, toys, and more stuff!)

I love to play fast music, too. Nothing like burning calories dancing around the house singing to my dogs. (my last child is 15. He's never quite as amused as I am.) Sometimes, depending on my weeks plans, I will take one day a week to really clean one room for each day. Other wks I prefer doing it all in one day. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The clutter is easy if you have enough storage. Otherwise you have to get creative.

I am a SAHM so I clean pretty much every day and deep clean one room a day during the week. I don't do any cleaing on days that my husband is off work.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009