i cant meditate anymore!

i used to meditate frequently....it gave me peace....patience etc.
but ever since the military i just cant anymore. i cant sleep, because i can never just relax and stop thinking. i sure as hell cant meditate like that. sinc ei do take some beliefs from buddhism..and some from a variety of other things (very eclectic) meditation is something that for me, its important. any advice?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hear ya, sometimes my mind will go 90 miles an hour and its difficult to meditate. I started again by shortening my time and then slowly increasing the time. Start out with just a minute or two and work your way up.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I so know what you are feeling.
    This is how I sorta of helped myself. I will light one of my favorite smelling incenses and ( I know this might sound funny, but believe it or not this works) take a hot shower.
    The steam and the incense causes a peaceful feeling and I can actually clear the mind ..
    This started helping me clear the mind and let things go when I do meditate and if I run into blocks (and we all do with our busy lives) I will do the shower thing....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• it is really affecting my sleeping now too which sucks. we lay down around 11ish every day. i just lay their till like 2-3..maybe later. theni wake up multiple times a night because ij ust cant stop thinking....my min dis always going 100 miles a hour now
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I do this with my gs when he has night-terrors.
    I tell him to think of something that he really wants and close his eyes and think about it so much that he sees it when his eyes are closed.
    Then I tell him to try and see himself with that item and see him sitting there with it playing with it relaxing and he seems to go back to sleep.

Now of course with adults you can subitute the wanting something for maybe a peaceful grassy null or by the ocean. Try putting nature music on too...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009