Problems with grandparents babysitting...

Ive recently gone back to work since i had my daughter which is almost 2 monts old.My husband lost his job a few months ago and we've been staying with his parents and they offered to babysit so we could save money.Well suday they watched her and they didt follow my instructions at all.They didnt read to her,she didnt get tummy time and she didnt get to play with any of her toys,they were right where i left them when i got home.I left for work at 10:30 am and didnt return home until 8:40 pm and they told me she only ate 2 and 1/2 bottles the whole time i was gone which is impossible!And today their taking her to a ball game that i dont approve of but they said they wouldnt watch her unless they could take her( me and hubby work tonight).Any advice on what to do?

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is not in serious danger let it go and know that they love her and are having fun with her. I go through this with my parents. They are great, but they wont do everything how I do it. i make sure she eats somewhat healthy there and beyond that I know she is safe and having fun.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yeah, pay for a baby sitter service so they will follow your instructions. They are being kind enough to help you guys out but it comes with a price tag, "We'll do what we want with your kid"

Get a baby sitter, move out of their house asap. This is just a prelude of things to come, wait until they feel more comfortable and want to start giving her peanuts or chocolates or solid foods or spanking, or ____ fill in the blank.

Get out, save your marriage, save your family, don't go to work, go and investigate babysitting places, cost, background checks, the whole 9 yards.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• no one is going to take care of your kids the way you do...no one...the only person i let watch my son is my mom becuase we have the same way of going about things and she can control him, not that he is uncontrollable, but he knows who he can play and cant, and me and grandma he cant....just tell them i would appreciate if you did this instead of this
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Either talk to them and let them know that they are veering WAY off the path here and making you very uncomfortable OR pay for a sitter. Grandparents are gonna do things their way sometimes... but sometimes does NOT translate into "DO what you want- the way you want- no matter what I say"

I get you gotta live in their house right now and you may be compromising on some things, but you don't need to or have to compromise on IF your baby gets fed enough.  Like mamaof2boys said.... NO ONE is going to do every little thing the same exact way you do or the way you want to (even a day care) - only YOU will do that. You gonna have to learn when and where to compromise and when and where to not. 

Call a friend for tonight... a 2 month old baby should NOT be at a ballpark with the heat and sun beating down on her.

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• relax. it won't hurt her to go to that ball game. i went to a fats domino concert when i was 6 mos. old. if you have concerns, of course, you have the right to find someone else. but please keep in mind that they have done this before and while you are new at this and freaking out over every little thing, they are going to be more laid back about it because they have been there and done that. besides, the sun will be good for the baby. helps keep the billiruben down and the vitamin d up.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• maybe she wasnt hungry when u left...the baby i take care of only didnt eat anything the last time i had him and he 3 month old i got him at 4:30 am and he went hom at 1:00pm and nothing was physically wrong with him . going to a ball game wont hurt her either...my dd has been going to horseshows since i brough her home from the hosptiable
    Anonymous

• Try to talk to them. You really need to talk to your SO. As far as the reading and tummy time, you might have to explain the reasons for it. It is very likely that it wasn't encouraged when they had little ones around. I'd also try to do those activities when I was home so I knew they were getting done and give me special bonding time. As far as the bottles, I'd just wait that out. She could still be adjusting to all the changes. But 2 1/2 bottles isn't that bad for 10 hours.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 5:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009