would you date someone w/ downs/autisim/etc...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• That would depend GREATLY upon the person.

I believe many adult people are walking around and are mildly autistic and no one knows, so maybe I might date an autistic person and not even know it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think legal issues could arise as to weather the person has the mental capacity to consent to sex.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I work with adults with these special abilitys. Some people like farra said are not able to consent to marraige and sexual activitys. For the most part they have someone to act as their guardian. But there are also people that I work with that are married and have children, others that date and have healthy relationships. It depends on their function level.
    Countrymommy03

Answer by Countrymommy03 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yeah. Then again I suspect that my husband has autism and I have autism.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It would really depend on the persons mental capacity, but I probably wouldn't.

Wifey2Watson

Answer by Wifey2Watson at 1:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• no way!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think it depends on you yourself and then the person with the disability. If someone has a disability where they can't care for their self and can't make decisions on their on like whether or not to have sex or get married then it wouldn't be right to take advantage of them because they may not fully understand what is going on. We can't help who we love, but also can't forget about the the people with disabilities who are capable of loving because they need companionship too.
    ms.busybody

Answer by ms.busybody at 1:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009