Why don't the environmental groups and the school districts get together and solve all the problems of the world?

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE. It's everywhere. Humans are killing the earth with their very existence. Every little bit we consume adds to our carbon footprint. The world will go up in flames in the next (pick an amount) years.

American Schools are broke. Not enough resources to go around, to take care of special needs children, to actually teach basics to the point where kids are functional.

If both of the above things are true, why did my child bring home 10 (yes, 10) various certificates with her report card? She read the amount of books she was supposed to (required by law), she participated in choir (as in, she showed up). She passed. I could go on.

None of these things deserves a certificate from the school. It's a waste of time and resources. Why do we continue to reward mediocrity? Can someone please explain why we hand out certificates for showing up, when we have needy kids who could use that time and attention?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:33 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well it may be because they are part of the problem.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant.
    We have created a society that honors the servant & has forgotten the gift.
    Albert Einstein
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Just one of the many reasons I homeschool. I want my children to excel, not just get by. I agree with you.
    Anonymous

• It's feel good curriculum. We wouldn't want the kids that didn't work that hard to not feel special too, even if they didn't meet all of the requirements.

I feel that this is also why they are trying to put other feel good curriculum into play in major cities (like teaching acceptance and tolerance of whatever special interest group has the money to buy political power). Once it's put into play in major cities, smaller ones will follow suit. School doesn't seem to be about education anymore, it's more of a social interest arena. If you really want your kids to excel at the basics you have to teach them most of that on your own time.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• oh...heres one for ya....My kids just got on ALL KIDS...state ins. I have 3 kids. I filled out ONE form. I got a huge packet in the mail yesterday explaing the benefits, which is great, for ONE kid! That means I am getting 2 more! The waste in paper and postage to send me 3 of the exact same thing is crazy!
    Anonymous

• anon :01, I am sure that's just in case they all have different daddies. Not that yours do, but many people have kids by different men (due to divorce and choice, whatever). Anyhow, I didn't mean that as a slam, just fact that these situations aren't exceptional anymore.

Anonymous

• Why would it matter if they have different daddy's? All of the packets are coming to my address. My kids have the same daddy so I don't know. But as much paperwork you have to fill out and questions you have to answer it seems that eliminating paper and (skyrocketing!!!) postage costs could be a good idea! I just checked and it was $2.75 to send me that packet. So $5.50 wasted That cost alone would add up QUICKLY and that doesn't include the cost of the books and pamphlets! OMG!

Anonymous

• I agree that it's a stupid wasteful way to process their paperwork. If the children have different dad's you may need to provide them with this information due to visitation (what if something were to happen while daddy had them away from home)? Again, not your specific situation, but we wouldn't want to expect the state wage earners to actually have to look at specifics to save a few bucks. 

Anonymous

• our school paid for all of her school supplies and then sent home two packs of markers, three boxes of crayons, paper, etc...
    they should keep these things shouldn't they for next year? its such a waste.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• LMAO give me a break. You don't want your child to be proud of what she has done? Heavens. I'm sure if you explain to her that it is wasteful and that you love her anyway but you have to recycle it so another child can get one next year she will understand.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2009