Is the choice to believe abortions are morally wrong part of the pro choice idea?

I understand that many believe abortions are ok. I understand many believe that abortions are necessary. What I don't understand is how pro choice can include everything but a persons choice to believe abortions are wrong. I have seen women beating themselves up 20 later because of this supposed choice they made without information. Why is it that the choice to believe abortion hurts many women years later is against women? Why can't the choice to think abortion is murder by valid? It seems anytime a mom says abortion is murder we are called anti women.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question, it will be interesting to read the responses you get.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Personally, Im against it HOWEVER, thats for myself.
    Im not responsible for another womans choice. I cant make her mind up for her nor force her to believe how I believe nor do I have to live with the consequences of her actions.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I've seen several pro-choice people on here who believe abortions are morally wrong....but they realize that there are special cases that they can't understand without experiencing them, so they don't think there should be a black and white law.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• MCG I have seen that as well. I have also seen ppl who are 100% against abortion called anti woman. I also just read a post where a few Christians expressed sympathy for Dr. Tiller and a pro abortion mom told them to get educated. I am not saying one side is better than the other. I am wondering why a few moms can't respect the choice of moms who feel abortions are wrong in every sense. Some of these moms speak from experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I believe abortion is wrong! But I am pro-choice! I believe that maybe 1% of the abortions are needed for the safety of those involved. I also believe that there are other valid reasons to consider abortion. In fact I had a freind who's husband beat her so bad when she told him she was pregnant that abortion probibly saved her life. He made it very clear that he was going to kill that child before it was born and that if she had to go to, that he would make it so... I don't think it's my right to tell her that she can't abort! And don't tell me "well, she could have left" it's not as easy as it sounds! The point is that I don't feel the government has the right to make that choice.

Cont, in next box..

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I have not problem with other women believing that abortion is wrong, that is is murder. But their beliefs end at my home and my body. You can believe that the all tree leaves are blue, but the minute you want to make laws about it is where I think it goes to far. Law should not cater to the individual dogma of one faith over others.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think that be the biggest problem I see is that people who are Pro-life assume to know why a women would get in abortion. It isn't a black and white issues. I feel that the claim that people use it as birth control is blow out of proportion. The women I have know who had one made the decision not lightly. I also think that the reason abortions happen is because parents stick their heads in the sand and not really talk to their kids about sex. Also, our society is SO sexulized that women have become pieces of meat to be sold on the shelves of the corner drug store and ALL OVER THE WEB. Right now the human race is a mess. Abortion is just THE TIP of the iceberg.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 11:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I also believe that by giving the government the right to make that choice for us we are opening the door to more trouble. Because if we give them the power to say that is a life and thus needs to be kept alive we are also handing them the right to say to a family of a person on life support "You can't turn that off that's a life" We are giving them the power to make disitions about how we treat other medical conditions. Medical treatments for the termianlly ill beconme legally required even if the patient refuses... The list only grows from there.

To be pro-life only is also unfortunately to be pro-government choice on all medical disitions. I don't want the law to dictate what I do with my life or to force me to give my children treatments that aren't IMO what's best for them. And I firmly believe that by giving them the power to illegalize abortion we are handing them those rights.

I am pro-choice / anti-abortion!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• anon: "I am wondering why a few moms can't respect the choice of moms who feel abortions are wrong in every sense. Some of these moms speak from experience."

You have that right by all means! But trying to impose it on everyone else is where I have a problem with it. People don't understand the implications of letting the government "protect" (aka: control) a fetus that lives inside you. Right now it's a case of abortion....but how much farther would they go? If a fetus' rights are in the hands of the gov. and not you, it would pretty much mean that, while you're pregnant, you'd be a prisoner to whatever laws the government passes to "protect" your baby....including things that you may not agree with for religious or any other reasons.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• how much better to have a mother kill her own child...
    Anonymous