Epidural vs. Natural

I am 38 wks pregnant with my second and for some odd reason am totally freaked out aout having the epidural. I had one with my first with absolutely no complications at all, labor was a breeze as was recovery.. This time, i am not nervous about having one,. but having one administered .. any thoughts??? I only lean sooo much toward the epi because I had such a good experience with it and have no idea if I could handle all natural.. haha

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had more fear my second child because I knew what was coming. I think this is natural. You just need to breathe, take it easy, and do as teh anesthesiologist tells you. I was more scared of having a natural birth than an epi.
    samanthaevans

Answer by samanthaevans at 11:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well I had both and they both have their pros and cons. I actually wanted natural with my first but I was afraid the really bad pain was going to last a long time so I got the epi. I loved it, except the part where I couldn't push effectively because I couldn't feel anything.

2nd child I planned on an epi because of how comfortable my labor was but progressed too quickly to get an epi. I'll tell you though it hurt I felt that not having it made things progress much quicker. I survived and I guess I am glad I got to experience nautral at least once.

I am now 10 weeks with #3 and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this one. I guess we'll just take it as it comes.

Congrats and Good Luck!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• if you have an epidural it doesnt make you any less of a woman
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• no, I don't think that it does make me any less equipped.. i guess maybe it may be because i had a rude anesthesiolgist the first time and I want to avoid that.. I didn't hurt afterward, although I couldn't move my right leg for about 30 minutes after she was born.. there was no headache, or back pain, etc. thats why I don't fear having another epi, I fear having it put in.. I guess the thought of "they are putting a needle in my spine" is overwhelming.. My mom says that when I am in that much pain I will just be like "hook me up" but i guess I should dwell on it.. who knows ! thanks for your answers ladies!
    Mom2Meredith

Answer by Mom2Meredith at 11:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I've done both and I'll tell you that I chose not to get it the second time and it was the best thing I ever did.

BUT that's the birthing experience I wanted. I never wanted a medicated birthing experience. I think all women should have the birthing experience they want and if you want an epidural birthing experience than have one!!! Talk to your doctor about your fears.

Most hospitals will even allow you to meet with the head anistiologist to discuss your concerns with them.
    Anonymous

• I had one but I was to far in labor for it to start working before my son came.I still felt everything and with my second I had a c-section.Either way that makes it better for you is best.I think you can handle it.It really isnt all that bad.I was only seventeen when I did it.And like I said before,I was dialated to 8 and got it and within minutes I went to 10 and had him so I didnt get to be numbed and it really isnt as bad as ppl say it is.Good Luck
    ~krazymomma427
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would never get an epidural, there are risks with any drugs during labor and I refuse to take the chance.

Natural is safer and healthier. I had my daughter 2 weeks ago, in a 100 percent natural homebirth. I would never have a child any other way. I loved every minute of it. It was amazing. I was holding my baby, nursing, and walking around immediately. I never felt better, it was amazing.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i've had both. with the epi for the first and without for the second. with was definitely better. i don't remember much of anything from the second one. and i was forced by my sister to apologize to my doctor although neither one will tell me what i said.
    my thoughts are if you have a reason to be afraid, weigh that reason well. if you wnat to try without, keep in mind two things. one you can always get it later...until 8 cm. two, sometimes you progress more quickly than you think you will.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I labored 12 long, painful hours before getting the epidural with my first pregnancy... I plan on getting the epi with this one too providing I don't progress so fast that I can't get one!!! I was able to be coherent and I knew when to push (I could feel the pressure). I thought it was great!!
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 10:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• with my daughter I got to the hospital at 7-ish and had the epi at about noon and started pushing at 4 and she was born at 4:27.. this is my reason for being ok with gettting one.. its the inserting of the needle thought that freaks me out.. and I can rationalize this by saying
    "they would be allowed to do it if they weren't trained very well to do so"
    "the hospital wouldn't allow them to if they weren't good at their jobs, they don't want lawsuits"
    "they probably do more in a day than they can count on 2 hands"
    so, this is why I don't understand this anxiety, I am very happy that this is the only thing I am freaked out about however, not anything else, just this ,.. I am just weird I guess!
    Mom2Meredith

Answer by Mom2Meredith at 10:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009