Is it an all or nothing type thing? Should a church kick out members who don't fully agree with all teachings?

Or congregation members be allowed to pick and chose what they beleive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont think so.
    Ive also never known a preacher person who quizzed their congregation individually to make sure they believed everything.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• At my church members are allowed believe what they want; we don't have a thought police, lol. But, you are required to believe certain things in order to serve in ministry (whether it be hospitality, ushers and greeters, children, sound, worship, or small group ministry). In order to have a leadership type role, you need to agree with the principles of our church.

I think that makes sense. You don't want people teaching things that do not follow the principles we believe in as laid out in scripture. If you have other beliefs (like there is no such thing as hell) there are other churches that believe that where you could go and serve/fellowship with those that are likeminded.

However, ANYONE is welcome to come and join us for service and enjoy our activities.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• you should be allowed to choose what you believe, but if they're teaching something that you dont believe then why go there. I used to be catholic and changed for that very reason. Read the bible, but chances are that you'll need someone to help you understand the scriptures. Just be careful who you go to because there are religions that dont fully read the scripture, just part of it and it will give it a totally different meaning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• By the way, when I say you must agree with the principles of our church. I think it could be taken in a wrong way. We do not put our church principles above the authority of the scripture. It is the other way around. We base our beliefs on the authority of the scriptures.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm really not sure, good question. Here's my dilema, if the people are going to church to learn about God, and are kicked out, how will they learn the truth? On the other hand, most church's are filled with hippocrates, who IMO turn non church go-ers away from religion because they see the hippocracy in religion. (Myself included) So if a religion kicked out the people who didn't follow God and the bible, that would take care of that problem.
    I guess, I think it would be better if the elder's in the church pulled the non-follower's aside and taught the people straight from the bible the errors of their ways, and the people still chose not to follow, then kicking them out would be a good thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It depends on the level of involvement and the type of belief. What I mean is people who just attend may still be finding out what they believe. A church is suppose to be a place where seekers can find.  However, if you are committing to a church as a member and they have a set of core beliefs you should accept and follow those beliefs. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• a church should never kick anyone out!!! if you are going to a church that has kicked someone out then i would rethink going to that chuch. the people someone kicks out may be the one who needs to be in the church the most seems like they all need to be in church . sounds like they forgot what church is really for... helping people
    newslady

Answer by newslady at 11:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We used to have some young men come into our church and start trying to tell people that they needed to leave our church and go to their church. They told people that God said men must wear black suits (every day, even when you are swimming) and women must wear long black dresses, no make up, no jewelry. If you don't you go to hell. And that if you sin, than you are not really saved--because saved people no longer sin. We had some younger kids begin to walk in shame because they were confused.

We asked them to stop sharing the ideas of their church and inviting people to their studies that don't agree with our beliefs. They didn't listen, and we had to tell them not to come at all. It is really hard to do something like that, but it is the right thing to do. There is plenty of people for them to share with at Walmart or wherever. But they needed to stop stalking our members and visiting their houses univited and all.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We see in the history of the church people being excommunicated, jailed, even executed for believing differently than the church thought right. Its part of the reason there are so many denominations and sects of Christianity - we don't all agree on things. Faith is a very personal thing, and the emphasis should be on the the relationship with God, and with others, not on whether or not you believe everything exactly as you're told to or expected to.
    It shouldn't be about picking and choosing, though. Its about what speaks to you, what makes the most sense to you - its about interpretation and emphasis, about personal understanding and conviction. The Bible (and God) speaks to different people in different ways. And, while I do believe there IS one absolute truth about these things, I don't believe we can declare one person right and everyone else wrong until we're in heaven to know. But these things don't matter.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I started thinking about this because so many ppl say we cannot cherry pick the bible, yet ppl cherry pick their beliefs all the time. Take B/C for instance. I am not saying it is wrong, I just find interesting.
    Anonymous