question for other Christian moms about my MIL

I'm doing my best to forgive my MIL. Its happened a few times where shes decided to insult me in front of my kids. she stopped by our house a few weeks ago and when I put my daughter in timeout she informed that my parenting sucks (thats exactly how she said it to me). So I asked her to leave. She is not a Christian. She has totally different beliefs than I do. my husband and I keep a very peaceful home. We both don't yell and if we need to discuss something we don't do it in front of our kids. my MIL is constantly yelling whenever we are at her house or she is at ours. I'm tierd of it and I don't want my kids around someone who is so unstable with their behavior. I've watched this woman jump up and down and act like a two year old when something has not gone her way. Its absolutely rediculous. i don't want my children seeing her act this way. She keeps calling but I have not called her back. i need some advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• MOTHERS IN LAW IS A TOUCHY SUBJECT, REMEMBER SHE IS YOUR HUBBY'S MOM AND YOUR GRANDCHILDRENS GRANDMA. I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE UPSET, BUT THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME COMPROMISING FROM BOTH PARTS TO COME TO SOME SORT OF UNDERSTANDING. CHRISTIAN OR NOT SHE IS YOUR FAMILY FAULTS AND ALL, AND YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR PEACE HAS A LOT TO LOOSE IF YOU DON'T PLAY IT SMART. TALK TO HUBBY ABOUT THE SITUATION TO SEE IF HE CAN TALK SOME SENSE INTO HER . IF YOU DEPRIVE CONTACT WITH YOUR CHILDREN, THERE GOES YOUR PEACE ANYWAY, SHE IS AFTER ALL THEIR GRANDMA. YOUR SITUATION NEEDS TO BE ADRESSED WITH A LOT OF FINESSE, IF NOT YOUR MARRIAGE IN ALL WILL SUFFER, GOOD LUCK TO YOU, ALWAYS REMEMBER PLAY IT SMART.

Answer by older at 11:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Sit down with your husband... tell him how you feel so when you or him or both talk to her.. you are in agreement and it doesn't sound like it's just you.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• arrange monthly play dates outside the home. A friend had to do this because she was not allowed to see her grand kids(a little different situation than yours) Once a month they would go to a park, the mall playground or something equivalent. It was called family day and about twice a year they have a family weekend. Camping or short trip to a nearby city or lake.

Outside the home and in an enviroment to have fun she might be a bit more relaxed.
    Anonymous

• NOTHING wrong with bounderies sister! Its your job to parent these kids not hers. Take the good advice and ignore the insults that's the best thing. Pray before coming in contact with her. I've been there so I know but not with my MIL but other close family members. Nothing wrong with telling family members how you feel and setting bounderies. God bless you.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Great book "Boundaries" by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend.."Being a loving and unselfish Christian does not mean never telling anyone NO. Boundaries define who we are and who we are not." ........ It is not Gods will to allow yourself to be insulted infront of your kids. Pray for your MIL stablity too. In Christ JCRestoredme
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• well first off talk to the hubby and let him know what your concerns are. then next time she tells you your parenting sucks, tell her her manners do. just because she is your children's grandmother doesn't make her a good influence. i'm in a similar situation and i can tell you that blood does not a good grandmother make. your kids are your problem. your husband's mom is his. get him to tell her something or not tell her something. but definitley get him to call her back.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009