what should my 4 month old dd be eating besides formula?!!?

i am really worried.. becauase my friend gave birth on the same day i did and the doc told he should be eating fruits and veggies but i havent even started her on cereal !!! and i cant go to the pedi. because im out of town and tricare doesnt cover for other pedi.s what should i do? what should she be eating?!?!? i am really scared im not giving her enough!!

cindyodopson

Asked by cindyodopson at 12:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give my daughter (almost 5 months) single grain cereal. She's learning how to eat off a spoon great. It just depends some littleones are nit ready for the spoon this young it just depends on the baby. Jar food is soon to follow, formula is all they need at this age other foods help with learning to swallow and teach different flavors.
    Countrymommy03

Answer by Countrymommy03 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Don't be scared...only formula is fine right now. Any food is just to practice and explore, it's not for nutrition. They don't have to worry about that until a year old anyway. I wouldn't worry about it until your baby shows some interest in eating. Besides, the WHO and AAP believe you wait until at least 6 months anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Formula only... you *can* start some cereal now if you want to.

We don't do solids before 6 months, at all, and with my daughter it wasn't until around 7 1/2 because she showed no interest.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I let my DD taste different things(literally just a taste) a couple weeks before the 6mos mark. Her first food was sweet potatoes mixed with breastmilk. I personally would wait til 6mos.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The current "guidelines" are to wait until 6 months. It varies by child sometimes though. I recommend reading the info on this page http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp  It has quite a bit of info and answers some FAQ's about starting solids. (=

Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Nothing but formula right now. the American Acadamy of Pediatrics says nothing but formula/breastmilk for the first 6 months of life (or longer if baby isnt ready!)
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Nothing. You're doing a great job.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Nothing but formula. Many pediatricians honestly try to get the parents to hold out on cereal till 5-6 months old (which is great) but 4 months is fine. As far as fruits and veggies your baby is too young. I would wait. Oh and FYI I wouldn't take advice from your friends ped because it's not good advice. Keep doing what your doing and listen to Your doc.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Breastmilk
    Charmedmommy82

Answer by Charmedmommy82 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009