when is the earliest you can find out what your having?

im so anxious!

youngandafraid

Asked by youngandafraid at 12:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They say 20 weeks everything is big enough to tell, i found out at 19 weeks
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• 20 weeks is typical but I think you can find out earlier but people don't bother because it likely to be a waste of an ultrasound.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think they are most likely to be accurate at 16 - 20 weeks, but it is sometimes possible sooner than that.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I know it was all I though about. My DH and I agreed not to discuss names until we knew the sex.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My Dr wouldn't even order my "big" ultrasound until I was 20+wks. I was at the Dr at 18wks (going every 4wks) so I had to wait until my 22wks. I was okay with that though, at least then the u/s tech could make sure ( I know they're never 100%, but the further you are the better)...
    but I had a cousin that found out at 16wks I believe it was that she was having a boy...and she just had him this morning, and he was all boy!!!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i found out at 17 weeks it was a boy, both times...big winkies....didnt take after dad...lol
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It depends on the doctor. Some do the main ultrasound at 16 weeks others do it at 20 weeks. I had mine with my son at 16 weeks and found out he was a boy.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Oh and if for any reason you decided to have CVS or AMnio testing as early as 10 weeks they can tell you if it's a boy or girl! But those tests shouldn't be done just for that purpose as they do carry a slightly higher miscarriage risk!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If you really want to know before time what you are having, go to this website. The Chinese use a birth cart that coincides with the month that you conceived to your age at the time of conception. It says it's about 99% accurate. I have two kids and five brothers and sisters. I tried it out on all of them including myself and my husband and it was right on. Hope it helps!

http://www.chinesebirthcalendar.org/chinese-birth-calendar.html
    madisonsmom2005

Answer by madisonsmom2005 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I tried that Chinese birth chart... it was wrong for both of my girls.... it said I was suppose to have boys... nope, had girls (well, had one, having another in 8wks)!!! I had my U/S at 19wks with both pregnancies. It is a hard thing to wait for!!!
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 9:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2009