How often does your mother....

call you?

My mother calls at least 10-12 times per day and she lives 1 mile away. Last night we were watching a movie in the den (our phones were in the bedroom) and she panicked cause she could not reach me. I had 25 missed calls on my cell, 10 on DH's cell and 30 calls on the home phone (not even counting the text messages.) This was all in a 30 minute time period. She rushes over here and bangs on the door with a 911 operator on the cell phone telling her that something was wrong!

SHE IS DRIVING ME NUTS! Does this seem a little crazy to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Sounds like your mom needs a life and a hobby other than meddling in your life. God forbid you watch a movie without telling her.
    It's insane and perhaps a little OCD that she calls that much.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Very crazy! My mom calls a few times a week.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Wow, that's not normal. My mom rarely calls me. We talk about once a week, sometimes less than that. I'm not one to like to talk on the phone though. I would say once a day would be sufficient - maybe once or twice more if something important is going on - but 10-12 times a day is way over the top. And freaking out like that kind of sounds like she needs a little help... she sounds kind of obsessive.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Umm YA!!! My mom calls me once a month... i live in ak, she's in wa and when I try to call her she never picks up. But something like what your mom is doing I'd flip out and so would my husband.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Wow, you need to sit down with her and explain that you need your space. She has her own life to live as well as you.
    Anonymous

• Wow I would sit my mom down and explain to her that this needs to stop. Calling once a day or once every few days is okay but 12 a day and then all that nonsense that just happened. well thats overboard!
    Anonymous

• Yes, that's way overboard. She needs to let go a little more and let you have your own life; you are no longer a child who she should be able to reach at every second. I have no idea how you get her to stop this, but it is definitely to the point of being a problem. I think I would probably try to talk to her and tell her you will call her back when you discover she has called if you are not too busy at that moment, but she should not call repeatedly. I would also let her know that this extreme clinginess is not healthy for you or for her. Tell her that she needs to trust that she did her job raising you and that you are capable of taking care of yourself and your family; let her know she's still important, but she doesn't need to be involved in every detail of your daily life any more than you need to be involved in hers. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• OP HERE - I forgot to mention, I am 35 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• She must love you very much. Just tell her that you love her and that you appreciate her caring so much but that she's overwhelming you. Assure her you are alive and well and that if there was a problem someone would contact her. Tell her "no news is good news" then suggest she find other interests to keep her busy. I know better than to call my 34 yr old dd. She'd tell me to leave her the f alone! lol I send out emails to see how all my kids are. That's much better for me. Only one ever replies but that's ok. She gives me the scoop on everyone and I'm fine for a while. (like a week or two!)

Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yes, i deal with this with my mom. She depends on me for EVERYTHING since i was a teen and i am exhausted.I thought children are suppose to depend on their parents. I am married with 2 children, i have a family of my own. You need to talk to your mom about this and tell her your need your own privacy. Now, let me reread my statement and follow my own advice lol. GOOD LUCK
    Anonymous