For those you who's baby's needed braces on their legs

my dd is 10 months and not even interested in standing up. the doctors are saying she's just being lazy. is this a sign she may need braces? she's not crawling either, and barely scooting around on her bottom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• no, I don't think so... my daughter was breech and her hips were popping out of joint and dislocating when she was born. She wore a brace for a couple months and they said becuase of that she could end up in a brace. She's 19 mo now and walking but we have to get her checked because she's been grabbing at her hips and crying lately :( But some babies scoot, crawl, and walk later and that's ok!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would so wait to borrow that kind of trouble. Is she a chunky monkey? Meaning is she really chubby? Some babies who are heavy tend to crawl and walk later. She will get there. Encourage her to scoot or crawl for toys she is interested in. Do you have a Johny Jumper. We got one online and it was the best buy! They loved jumping up and down in that thing. Plus it builds muscles in their legs. I am sure she is ok if your doc doesn't seem to be freaked out about anything. Keep in touch with him and all will be fine I am sure. Good luck Mamma!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• lol, yeah she's a chunky monkey, that's actually her nickname from me. well the docs said they'd start worrying if she isn't at least trying to scoot around by 1, which is right around the corner. that's mainly why i'm concerned. I have a jumperoo she loves to jump in, well at least she used to. lately she doesn't like it...
    Anonymous

• Long before AFOs (leg braces) would be considered, therapy would be tried to help her develop the necessary skills. She is still young yet to be considered to have missed the milestones, but you could call Early Intervention services for your area and have your daughter evaluated, usually for free (depends on your state). If the evaluators find she is delayed enough to meet their criteria, then services will be offered in the areas of her delay (s), usually in your home & at little to no cost to you, depending on your state (for example, in my state, evaluations & all services are free). Services offered are typically speech, occupational, physical and/or developmental therapies. The earlier services are started, the greater the chances of success are, so even if she is considered to be only a teensy bit behind, if the services are offered, I'd take them, because it certainly wouldn't hurt her to get the extra help.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009