If abortion became illegal....

...how would they enforce it? Right now, you don't have to officially report that you're pregnant. You can use a midwife at home instead of going to the doctor. If abortion were illegal, in order to really make the baby the property of the state so they can "protect" it, would there have to be a law saying you HAVE to report your pregnancy right when you find out? Would not reporting your pregnancy mean you are neglecting your baby and hiding from the state? Would you not have the right to not use the hospital and just use a midwife or something anymore? Would they force tests on you to make sure you're not "endangering" your baby's life? If you miscarry, would you have to be investigated to see if it was your fault or not? I think if a fetus is considered a baby, all these things could possibly happen.

If things like this happened, wouldn't you have a problem with it?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The answer is that they wouldn't be able to reinforce it. Plain and simple. Women will always find ways to have abortions, even if it was illegal.

I don't think that the government would make you "report" your pregnancy. Afterall, you can make an abortion look like a miscarriage, and those happen all the time. It would be downright cruel to make women go through questioning after having a miscarriage just so the government could ensure they didn't intentionally kill their unborn child.

Basically, the difference would be that abortion clinics would stop running.
    mom2eliandjayde

Answer by mom2eliandjayde at 2:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• This question has been done to death.
    Anonymous

• Agree anon. Give it a rest already MCG.
    Anonymous

• well, then post a link to the other ones, I didn't see them. I don't come in this section much because of the negativity.....you know, like you two.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Oh, I didn't mean that she needs to give it a rest, just to be prepared for tired responses.

There is one of these questions at least once a week, so if you get a lot of pissy responses, don't be surprised. But by all means, feel free to post whatever question you want as long as it doesn't violate CM's TOS.

Anonymous

• That will eventually happen with Universal Healthcare anyway, so abortion is irrelevant.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• OP, I will try to find you some links. BTW, I am the first anon (and at :38)
    Anonymous

• It doesnt matter abortion is here to stay. The bigger issue is third trimester abortions.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Carpy...I was completely against third trimester abortions until I started reading stories lately about some of the reasons it happens. Now I don't separate it from any other abortion. I don't believe you can make a law about it that won't end up hurting someone...baby OR mother.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• and please expand on those reasons
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2009