Has anyone every done interval training (HIIT) outside of a gym?

I'm starting my HIIT tonight, but I prefer to run outside.. Has anyone ever done this without the use of a treadmill? I'm concerned that I'll have difficulty with my speeds.. Can you really know the difference between a "3" and a "5" without a treadmill?

JeanBee

Asked by JeanBee at 12:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I simply use Leslie sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos, she has a relatively new one called "Intervals" where you do 2 minutes of jogging intervals within the regular walking workout....for me that's good enough, lol. I love her workouts!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• A 3 would likely be you are walking briskly or running and able to still talk just a bit. A 5 might be fast enough that you cannot carry on a conversation. :)

You can also do interval training by simply briskly walking like for 1 min. then run for 1 min., back and forth, or walk for 3 min., run for 1. My biggest issue was trying to keep time b/c I didn't have a timer or watch and also I don't want to keep looking down to count down the seconds while i'm running. LOL

I use our indoor track at the gym, I run one lap, walk 1 lap. That makes it easier for me. Maybe you could find a track at your local high school and do it that way?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2009