Too young for braces?

Many of my dd9's friends are getting braces on their teeth. I think 9 is way too young. When I was young, kids were 12 or 13 before they got braces. At 9, your mouth is still growing and you haven't lost all your baby teeth.

I've talked to several Dentists and Ortho's so this is not a medical question about whether it CAN be done. I'm asking as a mom SHOULD it be done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• i wouldn't get braces on my kids teeth until all the baby teeth were gone
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If their mom chooses to do it at 9 and pay for it to be done, then it's none of mine or anyone else's business
    Anonymous

• My friends ds is 8 and I'm pretty sure he'll be getting braces by the time he's 9. He's already been going through all the spacing and retainers. It all depends on the severity of the case. I don't see the problem with a 9 year old getting braces. When I was that age tons of kids had them.
    DaffysDoll

Answer by DaffysDoll at 12:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son had brackets on his front four upper teeth when he was about 10. His front four were behind the bottom four and because of sports, she felt that if he fell and hit his mouth, they had a major chance to break them off. So, he only got them on those, beacuse the other teeth weren't in yet. He will have to get them again on all teeth when he is finished losing teeth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Anon 11:48

WTF? Why does everything have to be a fight. It was just a question. Sheesh!

OP
    Anonymous

• Not to start a fight or to sound aggressive, but I refuse to allow my children to have braces. Its ridiculous in my opinion. God made me the way I am, and if he wants my teeth crooked, then so be it. Unless a child has a severe problem, I don't know why its even necessary, and if it were sooo necessary, why do they cost so much, even with insurance? To me, I think orthodontists just want to make money, on people who really don't need them.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 2:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I had mine on in the 4th grade. I had to have some baby teeth pulled in order to do so. My teeth were extremely buck due to thumb sucking. I had them on a loooong time. I had them off Oct of my freshman year in school. I think as long as your ortho says it is time and you trust him, then go ahead. My DD is 15 and getting hers on this month, but my SD had hers on at 12. I think a lot of it has to do with what needs to be done and how long it will take. I would have loved to have mine off by puberty, that age is hard enough.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i had to have braces on in hs i was genetically ddom to have braces....no my dd is only 4 but u can tell already she is going to have to have braces...her dad need them but didnt get them andi had to have them...already her teeth r crowded and her lower jaw is really narrow. i refuse to let my dd or any of my kids get picked on for something that can be fixed.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 2:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• To Lesli: Sometimes even having your teeth a little off can cause major damage due to unecessary rubbing together of teeth causing them to break down and leaving you with exposed roots and decaying teeth. Whereby you are them forced to have them pulled and get dentures. I know of many adults with major problems because of the position of their teeth. They have had to get braces as adults to correct problems that they are having. That is the major reason for braces, not, cosmetic. In fact, alot of orthos will examine and decide if in fact there is a need for them. They don't usually do it on a whim.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Lots of drugs and going to the doctor is sooo expensive...but, sometimes it is absolutely necessary. Maybe you should do some research before you condemn something.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2009