what am i doing wrong?

so i haven't had a job in ten years but finally the little one is going to go to school and i have an awesome sitter. so i'm thinking time to go to work. hubby's thinking it too. but. no matter how many interviews i go on, no matter who i talk to, i don't get hired. this has been going on for about a month. its disspiriting to say the least. i have no clue what i am doing wrong. i am dressing professionally, speaking proper grammar, and even bringing along a resume, even when i just need to fill out an application. It seems that no matter what i do, i just can't get a job. i live in south louisiana, and for the most part, the slow job market hasn't hit here yet. is it just me? is there some secret to reentering the work force? any idea what i'm doing wrong? help. i can't stay in this house another year, watching spongebob and mopping. there's only so much i can sanely take.

princezzmommie

Asked by princezzmommie at 12:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• maybe its the ten year gap in employment history? if you did any community service or something in that time put it on there. Blank spots on resumes aren't the best. Plus with the economy the way it is, well its gonna be tough even with a spotless resume.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 12:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Maybe you go try going through a temp agency. That would help ease you back into the work force. Antoher option might be to take a few classes to update your skills. Then you would at least have some recent activity for your resume.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Maybe you are coming off as "over qualified" for the positions you are applying for. I have applied at lots of places where i am definately qualified and don't even get called for an interview . Then when i go in there or something later, the person that they hired is so unprofessional looking and doesn't even know how to do they job. They are probably looking for someone who is cheap to pay. If you are sounding very professional and looking like you could be the interviewers boss, that may be the reason. I wouldn't thing it would be the gap in employment if they are calling you for interviews. It is irritating i know. because it is people like me and you that know we would do the job well.
    Anonymous

• Hi princezzmommie,
    boy can I relate to the Spongebob reruns in my home. I think that I have seen every episode. But I love that I have the opportunity to stay home with my kids and make an income at the same time. Has anyone shared Work At Home United with you before? We are a team of Moms who, like you were needing to earn an income, but also wanted a way to connect with other moms out there where we could talk above and beyond cartoon shows and PB & J sandwiches. We have an awesome community of women from all walks of life, striving to be the best parents, and bring home a reliable, monthly income without having sales, billing or collections, and no robbing people of their hard earned $$$. If you are struggling with trying to find a job and need to bring home an income, check out what we do, it just might be the perfect fit for you too!!
    Good Luck!
    www.enhancingfamilies.com
    amynic

Answer by amynic at 2:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). There is a company located outside of Chicago that matches up VAs & clients called VSI; the url is www.avirtualstaff.com. The owner is Tracey Wallace.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. I work out of my home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation. Feel free to contact me directly -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Have you thought about going into business on your own? I don't mind working a lot of hours, I just want to choose which ones I work. The rewards are so much bigger also.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 8:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009