Is our government suppose to protect life or allow us to end it?

If a person believes in human sacrifice because of their religion should the government step in and say no? What about a weird religion that might believe in sacrificing chickens or dogs? Does the government have the right to step in and protect that life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no problem....we agree stopping a heart beat is murder and therefore abortion is murder.
    Anonymous

• Both of those encroach upon the rights of other living beings, and both are illegal already.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 12:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• so our government is prolife.
    Anonymous

• What about a weird religion that might believe in sacrificing chickens or dogs?

Those "weird" religions you are talking about have every right to sacrifice animals and do so all the time. You cannot sacrifice people because it is their choice to live or die - which is why they can take their own life for their religion and no crime is committed (contrary to popular belief, suicide is not illegal). The government steps in when it is an issue of someone taking another person's life without their consent. Like the issue of assisted suicide, where the gray area is if the person assisting can be sure the soon-to-be-deceased did or did not have second thoughts at the last minute.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• In our state sacrificing, maiming, or killing certain animals is a felony.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• First off there are a number of "weird" religions that do sacrifices and the government HAS steped in. It is no longger leagle to sacrifice anything larger than a Chicken. This allows the relgious practices to not be encroched upon while protecting both people and humans. However, I don't feel there are any legit religions out there that still hold belief in any human sacrifice. I don't personally believe that the government should have the right to limit how someone worships unless it is causeing a greater harm...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• so what are you saying Sabrina? It is ok for the government to step in and say you cannot end a life? Just depends on the situation? if it is for the convenience of a mom than the government must stay away, but if it is a religious issue than step right in?
    Anonymous

• Rastafarians are allowed to sacrifice animals, correct? I think it just has to be ones that were raised for that purpose.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• does the government tell them they have to be raised for the purpose?
    Anonymous

• What I am saying is that any true and legit religion would not take a human life for worship in todays society. there are no religions listed with the US government that allow that. I don't feel that the government should step in and prevent someone within those religions from practicing their faith, even if it means the end of a cow... If the action of a religion is not causeing harm to other people how is it the government right to step in? The government is not GOD...

As for a mother's convinience, I am pro-choice. I am anti-abortion but would never hold it against anyone no matter what the reason is! I'm not sure where you got that. And this discussion is not about Abortion, it's about Sacrifice.

As far as I know MCG Rastafarians don't do sacrifices, but I could be wrong. I know it's a practice in Santaria. And yes, those animals need to be raised for that purpose!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009