What are your limits regarding your teen daughters (16) in the areas of dating?

What kind of "dates" do you allow or not allow, and what curfews do you have? How has that worked for you all? I remember hanging out in groups and liking that because it felt like a safe way to get to know boys w/out getting into situations I wasn't ready for, but my dd knows a couple that gets together at each other's house and are not monitored that closely, from what I've gathered and heard. (I would not be comfortable with my dd hanging out w/them) Just preparing for the near future...

dflygirl7

Asked by dflygirl7 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If they are at his house I have to know the parents, and they have to be home. They are supervised at our house. No bedrooms. No car dates alone until you have your own license. No touchy feely, smoochy woochy, or hanky panky. I reserve the right to change these rules for for her safety...or my amusement. Bad grades=no boys.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• At sixteen I gave my DD permision to car date. At 15 she was able to meet a boy at the movies if we or his parents were there too... But my DD really surprised us both... She chose not to go in any boy's car on any car dates at all... She said she didn't trust any boys at this point in her life...
    So, Her now BF will be 16 in August and DD will be 18 in March 2010.
    BF has been going to church with her for about 6 months before they started dating. All has been good so far... Maybe your DD will think about not being in control if she is in his car...
    I can probibly count on one hand how many actual date she and her Bf have been on in the last 8 months all by themselves.
    I think this is a good thing... We do alot of family stuff... and church stuff...
    mxmtaylor

Answer by mxmtaylor at 7:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The key is your relationship with your daughters.
    My rule is no dates until I know she could, if absolutely necessary, grab the car keys and get to safety. After that, it's a matter of trust and respect. I tell them where I'm going, who I'm with, and when I'll be back. I call home & check in. I expect the same from them, regardless of who they are out with. We also have an 'emergency question'. If during a check-in call, they ask that question (the police school liason suggested, "How's the cat?"), then I hop in my car and go get them. They can tell me later why they needed my safety net.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 10:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have allowed my 16 yo dd to go to the movies with her BF for the first time alone. They are usually in a group. But this first date was a big deal. She was allowed only because she has been friends with this boy for 2 years. I know him and his family. I would not have a problem calling his house if I had to. They both know that too! They are always welcome here, as long as dad or I are home. Same for his house. An adult has to be there. No bedrooms!! I try to keep the lines of communication open and hoping for the best.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009