could someone explain this passage from the bible for me.

2 Kings 2:23-24:
"And he [Elisha] went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."
Did God really kill children for calling someone names?

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Technically, they were probably teens. So yeah - bears ate some 15 year old boys for mocking the prophet, on God's command.

And I refuse to twist my brain into jelly by telling myself that if the book says God made a bad - unloving, unforgiving, across the board IMMORAL - call, that I must be reading the book wrong. If by "divide the word correctly" you mean I should give up my reason and my morals and my love for my fellow man and actually tell myself that that punishment was warranted by their actions - whatever their motivation - then I will pass.

The God who rubber-stamped that act was not acting as love. I know you have to believe that if it appears he isn't acting as Love itself that you have to assume information you don't have, because the human mind can't know His ways and His will. Sure. But He - according to Christians - gave us this one book as the only way to know him... and then we're supposed to ignore this?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• sounds like it to me lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• blueletterBible.com read up on it there. God never sins! He is perfect! He is love!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• remember to devide the Word correctly!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The hebrew translation says that the little children are actually youths, meaning young men, not kids. They were disrespecting the office Elisha held. He was the chosen prophet of God, his holy messenger, and they were making a mockery of that. God punished them for being wicked...the men, that is, since they weren't little children.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• 2 mothers I really have no idea what your are talking about. Is this not quoted right. This is what it says right? So what does this passage mean. How do you interpret this passage. Do I read this word for word as the truth or is there a implied message that I am missing.

ACL2007, if that is what the massage was supposed to be, why use the words little children, not youths. Is the Hebrew translation more correct then the KJV bible. which one do I read to read to get God's Truth.
    The message is very different.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• "ACL2007, if that is what the massage was supposed to be, why use the words little children, not youths. Is the Hebrew translation more correct then the KJV bible. which one do I read to read to get God's Truth."

Always, always view the English texts through the context and nuance of the original languages. You will gain a much fuller understanding of many things if you do that. I would go with the answer that ACL2007 gave you, it is the only explanation that makes the slightest bit of sense within the Jewish or Christian faiths.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• This is the expliantion provided from bluebible.com
    "These expressions of judgment are the psalmist's own feelings. He wants God's justice to fall on the wicked, but God would rather show mercy by forgiving repentant men. God has great sorrow when he must judge" Chuck Smith.
    I don't understand where he got this interpretation of this passage. How would I have ever read this passage this way. This seems to infer more then what is written.
    By the why the Bluebible website seems to be a good source. thank you.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2009