What is a better way to tell your child to be quiet instead of saying "shut-up"?

You here so many parents telling or yelling at their kids, even very very young kids to shut-up. What is a better way to get them to be quiet? I am quilty as to say I have told my child to shut-up before. It makes me feel horrible. Saying "you really need to be quit right now" doesnt always work. Any advice???

singingangel74

Asked by singingangel74 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• say "please lower your voice" =]
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I tell my son to use his inside voice or to be quiet. But shut up is too mean.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Hush!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 1:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I tell them we need to use our library voices (quite voice), It works with my four year old, and my 2 year old does whatever her big sister does. Its effective most of the time. Good Luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i tell mine to hush
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It is mean and hurtful I agree thats why I feel so bad. Which I should. Saying use your "inside voice" or "lower your voice" works for a moment. It could be cuz he is adhd that constant reminders are a must...I dont know. I have tried lots of different ways but nothing seems effective enough for him to remember to lower the tone.
    singingangel74

Answer by singingangel74 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I just say "Hush" at this point (my son is 2) I think when he gets a little older and understands a little teensy bit more I will use the whole "inside/outside" voices thing.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 1:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i cant remember where i learned it but i lower my face to theirs and i start speaking really quietly and they have to stop being loud to hear me. then i tell them to speak quietly and the usually do, other times i just say hush. shut up is a swear here. but hubby ignores me on it sometimes.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We don't use shut-up here. Like the pp, we consider it a swear word. We usually start with "Shhh" then progress to "could you please be quiet" and when all else fails "Zip it" This is for in the house when they are running around like wild animals. If we are in the store I do what pp does, get down on their level and talk really quiet. It usually works.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If you start whispering its contagious.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2009