Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC and irregular periods

I'm new to this site and just looking for some advice/reassurance. I plan on ttc #2 in the next year. I conceived #1 while on bc and it was a complete surprise. My periods were regulated because of the bc, but when i'm not on it I usually only have around 3-4 periods a year and its not uncommon for me to have times where i go up to 3 or 4 months w/o one. I guess i'm wondering if any other ladies conceived quickly with such messed up cycles or if they had to use charting, meds, etc. Advice or comments appreciated

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

Answers (4)
  • i conceived 2 healthy children and my cycles go from anywhere between 33 days and the most 45 so it is possible good luck dont try very hard the harder u try the longer it will feel to become pregnant

    Answer by ohmama213 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • I conceived a child and mine have been known to skip 3 months at a time. In fact, I wasn't even aware I was pregnant until I missed the fourth month. I went to the doctor for a test and they also did a songram and determined I was 19 wks and 3 days.

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • Ive heard of people getting pregnant right after going off of BC because of how it regulates your cycles.

    Answer by m_ellingson at 3:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • Your best bet is to go to your OB and get checked out. While it's sometimes possible to get pregnant with super long cycles, it can take a lot longer for it to happen. I was having only 3 or 4 cycles a year when I got pregnant the first time, but it took about 4 years to conceive. I went on BC for a few years after that, and when I got off I was having even less frequent cycles. I decided it was best to go to the doctor before it got any worse and before I got any older. Since your cycles are not normal, your OB will start testing right away without making you try on your own for a year. The sooner you seek help, the more likely it is that a doctor can help you, and really might be something very simple. It might happen with no intervention, but unless you are still pretty young and have years to try you have to decide if you are willing to take that chance. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.