• In the Spotlight:

What about this passage from the bible (KJV).

Psalm 137:8-9 (King James Version)
"O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
what message should I be getting from this passage. Is there something I am missing. Please help me to understand what is trying to be said.

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Taken out of context" and "That's not what that passage actually MEANS" are two more answers the christians will probably give you along with "translation errors." They are unlikely to be able to give you a proper answer tho. The words SAY what they say. God will bless you for dashing helpless infants against the rocks. Either you believe the bible is the inerrant word of god, or you believe that the writers and transcriptionists did the best they could trying to explain with their limited minds what was happening. Men make mistakes. Sometimes, they even do it on purpose to fit their own personal agenda.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I cant help you interprut that passage. What i can tell you is that a very religious dear friend of mine told me that KJV as well as other newer versions of the bible are not very accurate in the translation. a lot got lost when trying to make it simple to understand.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• but a great many people claim that the bible can not be translated incorrectly. That God directs the translators. So how could the KJV be wrong.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You have to research the meaning of the words some times back to the original language and have it in the correct context. You're pulling the last two verses out of an entire passage and asking the meaning from one translation. I have a bible dictionary, a concordance, and I pray and ask the Holy Spirit to show me when I'm reading and studying the word of God.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It can only be understood figuratively, IMO. Babylon is where the Jews were held in captivity, and many of them were assimilated into Babylonian society. So the "daughter" of Babylon is going to be destroyed. One assumes that the daughter of a society is another society. Not a person, but a culture/nation/etc.

The one who destroys "her" will be happy because he will be repaying God for all He did for them, and he will destroy her thoroughly -- hence even the little ones being dashed against rocks - again, probably figurative for just how thorough the destruction of "the daughter of Babylon" would be.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The context changes the meaning, often... so yes, definitely read it as a whole and not as random verses.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If that is the case, two Christians will get two different meanings.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Here is a good explanation of this verse that I found in Yahoo answers. It was answered by a person called Evangeline.

This verse says exactly what God wanted it to. It is a prophecy that Babylon is going to be destroyed, and during this destruction, even their little ones will be killed.

He alludes to Isaiah's prophecy in (Isa_13:16) promising good success to Cyrus and Darius, who wanted to fight against Babylon, but God used them as his rods to punish the babylonians for the way thy treated the Jews during the babylonian captivity.

Nowhere does this verse condone this behavior, but simply states what Cyrus and Darius would do when they came against Babylon.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• As for translations, that is why it is so important to have more than one to cross reference.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• look at it this way.

everything a story is passed on...or translated......it changes........tell a friend a short story. tell her to pass it on. within a week it will completely change.

so it really doesnt matter which version you aerd. none of them are original or correct as first written. and when you translate form one language to another, your going to lose some stuff. just how it is
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2009