Do you believe a childs name can set up them up for either success or failure ?

I was reading another post about weird names, and some of those were hiddeous! I couldn't help but think what type of job a poor child named "vagelina" would would find once she's older. I always thought that giving a child a good strong name (along with good parenting) could possibly set them up for success. I just wonder if parents who give their kids such cockamamie names ever think that they could maybe ruin that child's career. No to mention they might also be made fun of.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 2:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm with you. Just the other day they were all commenting on NOT naming a kid Dick. Now that name (Richard) has been around for eons. But we all know the ribbing the kid would take. Why set them up?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I don't think a person's name can make or break them. I do think that naming them something ridiculous CAN harm them emotionally due to the reaction of the public. But again, that is based on the parenting and how the child is raised to be. If he/she is self assured, then it's no biggie.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I don't know how much a "strong" name actually helps, but I agree that a bizarre name may make it hard for the person to be taken seriously as an adult. I'm all for being unique, but some names people choose are just ridiculous and will likely be a source of embarrassment for the child, both in childhood and adulthood.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think some of the parents set the kids up for failure more than a name! Look at all the Tom's, Steve, mike, chris, Jenny, Allisons and Brendas we all know that are in jail or hopped up on dope.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• No matter what name you pick kids can find someway to make fun of it. I do agree you shouldn't make easy for them to make fun of your kid though.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think it depends on the name! If it's a name that they are ashamed of they will grow up not wanting to be social. If they grow up with an overly common name they can grow up believeing they are one in the crowd. So, yeah, sure. I can see how a name can dictate who they will be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I don't think a name has anything to do with success. I named my son Shooter Monroe and yes, I do know that he is more likely to get made fun of in school but who cares. If he works hard, gets good grades, and does what he's suppose to in school he could possibly be more successful than most of the people that made fun of him, then who would be laughing in the end. I have already told my son (who's only 18 months BTW) that if he gets made fun of because of his name the other kids are jealous that their parents weren't cool enough to come of with unique names for them.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 2:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• As an adult they could always change their name if they were really that upset about it or if they were blaming their name on their failures in life?
    Anonymous

• idk. i just know my uncles herbert adn hubert turned out just the way you would imagine a hubert and a herbert to turn out. so yeah, i kinda think it does.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think it's a factor, but a small one. I think more along the lines of names holding someone back more than a name making someone successful, but even then I think there are more important factors.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2009