Why can't we choose life for ourselves but can choose for our babies?

What is the political reason for the govt allowing a woman the right to choose to abort her unborn baby that would have been born healthy if not having been aborted but if a person wants to kill themselves because they have a terminal illness and are suffering they are not allowed to? Why is it legal for a doctor to take the life of a baby who has no choice in the situation but a person who wants to leave this family cannot be legally assisted by a doctor? I'm prochoice btw so this question has nothing to do with that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why is this under general parenting?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• family=Earth Sorry typo.
    Anonymous

• They believe that people could argue that the person was mentally unstable or ill at the time and not able to rationally make the decision. But it's such a huge can of worms to open that I don't think that it's ever gonna get tackled. I'm sure there is a huge amount of legal paper work somewhere in the US that could answer for us. But where?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think its so stupid to say suicide is illegal. People kill themselves all the time, so what's the punishment for that? death penalty?
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I don't know... why do women think it's their business what other women do with their wombs??? so many questions... and if someones really concerned about taking their own life I don't think they worry much about the legalities behind it... ya know?
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• mizaxton. The question has nothing to do with people commiting suicide or aborting. The question is about why is it legal for doctors to do one but not the other.
    Anonymous

• writeon- I couldn't agree more with actual suicide but attempted suicide can be charged as attempted murder in some states. If you try to commit suicide and fail it is a crime.
    Anonymous

• Are you asking why a doctor can't assist in suicide if the patient is going to die a painful death?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm all for "assisted suicide" as it's called, however, I think it should be called something more of what it's used for. Suicide sounds so harsh, I'd rather it be called something loving/caring, which is what the person is looking for. But let's not fool ourelves. I KNOW for a fact, that good old time doctors do this....you know, help the ailing elderly person along? Been there, seen it.
    I just have a feeling that abortion is okay, because the woman is choosing something for herself. It is her body, and in the case of early abortions, the "baby" could not live outside of her body with or without machines to help. So really, it totally is her choice alone to make. At least with the elderly, they CAN keep them "alive" with machines.....not sure who that's really helping.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• because I think its one of those situation where you don't want to create a gray area that makes it ok for your doc to take your life.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009