How long did you push during labor? ...AND can you do it your own way?

How long did you push when you were in labor? Was it your first, second, third, etc. child?? Did you get an epidural?

Also, is there a way to go about pushing by your own choice and not what the doctor wants you to do? I don't want to do the "purple pushing" thing, but it seems used most often on "A Baby's Story." I'd prefer to push when I'm comfortable pushing and for as long as I can manage... I'm 33 weeks and extremely nervous about the pushing part of labor because I get light headed easily and often. Thanks for answering my questions!

Enembe

Asked by Enembe at 2:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I pushed for 2 1/2 hours. I did have an epidural. It took so long b/c I was in labor for so long, I just had no energy to push so I'd have to take breaks. I just went with what the doctors said to do b/c they said it was the best...it was not comfortable at all.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Talk to your doctor and create a birthing plan.

You can take any position that you want to. Its YOUR labor, not theirs. YOU are paying THEM to be there, not the other way around. You call the shots.

I pushed for a little over an hour, and no I did not have an epidural. I took a medication ( I forget what it was, it started with a "D" I think it was Demerol) Just to take the edge off of the contractions, I only took 1/2 of what they wanted to give me. It was gone by the time it was time to push.

Good Luck! And remember its YOUR labor!! Do what you want!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• with my first child i had an epidural and i was pushing for and hour before he came. my second child my water broke and in three pushes he was out, no epidural used.
    Anonymous

• I pushed two and a half times. They counted to 10, twice, then to 5 once. It was my first and I had no epidural. I pushed for maybe 5 minutes.

This was all about 7 hours total from first sign of a contraction until he was out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• First baby: 3 hours of pushing, no coached pushing i just let my body do its work. The baby was posterior and it took ages to get him to descend into the birth canal. i tried all sorts of positions. No epidural (you cant do that if you cant feel what you're doing)

Second baby: 5 minutes of pushing, no conscious pushing at all on my part, my body took over and pushed her out all i had to do was breathe. No coaching, epidural or internal checks. This baby was in a good position!

You don't need a doctor to tell you what to do at all, your body will let you know what to do. Listen to your instincts and it will work.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I had an epidural (it was my first kid) and I pushed for half an hour. The doctor told me how to push, I wasn't making any noise and she told me that it worked better if I grunted lol.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I didn't have an epideral b.c. I got there too late (long story). I pushed for less than 5 minutes and my doctor didn't say a word during it all. lol! So I guess it depends on your doctor! As at your next appointment. =D Good luck! Oh! And it's my 1st child.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• With my first i had an epidural and it took 30 minutes to push out my son, i didn't know the different positions for birthing with my first so i just did what the dr told me to do.

With my second i had no epidural and i pushed for 20 minutes, i tried a few different positions but in the end i just did it the same way i did the first. She seemed to come out faster that way.

Just remember to breathe through the contractions or they might put an oxygen mask on you (they did that with my first because i kept holding my breath) Don't worry you will be fine, good luck :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I pushed 20 minutes on each baby. Some with epidurals some without. If doc tells you to stop pushing or lay on your side, just do it. They have a good reason. My third had a double cord wrapped around his neck and I would have choked him if i pushed, also some positions are better for pushing when baby needs more oxygen, but they are pretty good for giving you what you want as long as it's safe. Don't worry, you'll be fine! The anticipation is worse than the real thing!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Every mom is different. I pushed for maybe 10 minutes, no medication. On my second it was two pushes and she was there, no meds on that one either. Just keep in mind that sometimes the plan that you make might not go as planned. It is okay to change your mind during, we're women after all.
    tigerus

Answer by tigerus at 2:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2009