Ear Infections (..........SUCK!!!)

My poor little man (4 y/o) has his millionth ear infection. UGH! These are driving me crazy. Normally, he NEVER complains about them and we end up finding out because he'll get a fever and a bad cough and they check his ears, and poof there's usually TWO of them in each ear. Today, he woke up complaining, and I mean COMPLAINING that his ear is KILLING him. Wouldn't you know, it's yet another ear infection. For the entire day he's been crying and carrying on that it hurts. I've tried tylenol (and he's now taking amoxicillin for the infection.) Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I can do to help him with the pain?

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• motrin, (my daughter doesn't react to tylenol for fever, but does for pain and vise versa w/motrin so try motrin). get a washcloth warm w/hot water, make sure it isn't dripping, place it over the ear/neck and that will help the pain a bit.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• and i would ask for a referral to an ear, nose and throat specialist. my daughter got ear infections every other month for the first 2 years of her life. i bugged enough about her snoring and finally got a referral and they discovered her tonsils and aednoids blocked 85% of her airway, and that was causing the snoring and the ear infections. she had them taken out when she was 26 months old, she will be 3 1/2 middle of june and hasn't had an ear infection since she got her tonsils taken out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• This isn't really helpful to your question I was just wondering if anyone (dr.) has mentioned him getting tubes? My brother was the same way when he was little and after he had tubes he only ever had 1 ear infection again in his life. He's now 21 and the last time his ear was in pain he was like 6 or so.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• His pediatrician has brought up the tubes, but says that she prefers to wait because this is something he could outgrow. For the last year and a half he gets them, almost every 3 weeks or so. Like clockwork. I didn't think about the tonsils, but that's a great idea, I will ask his dr about that.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I had read an article in Parent Magazine, it was about how pain management it children is often not considered necessary but doc.  Anyway one of the things they talked about was how antibiotics take days to relieve painful symptoms. I'm quoting the article " Ear infections are particularly distressing for babies(imagine suddenly descending in an airplane and not being able to pop your ears), yet studies have found that many are never given prescription anesthetic ear drops like Auralgan.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You may want to consider taking your son to a chiropractor. they work wonders for ear infections. My son had one time and time again. In fact, when I took him to his first chiropractor appointment, I think he was getting another one. Guess what....NO ear infections or even a runny nose for that matter since we started to take him. It does not hurt the child and really helps! Please send me a message if you would like more information, or just google ear infections and chiropractors.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If he's been getting them this long, he needs tubes. My 3 kids have had them, and they outgrew the need between 2.5 and 5. Each did well with the tubes and they eliminated the infections or almost did. I would see another doctor--have you been to the ENT or just the regular ped.? I'm telling you for that many, tubes should be considered seriously. They may not be for all kids, but they are helpful for many.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You may also want to take him to an allergist. I had a severe allegy to milk and kept ear infections until my parents took me to an allergist who figures it out and took me off milk for a while. I also had to have tubes. You should be concerned. Too many ear infections can cause hearing loss. I have a nephew who has suffered MAJOR hearing loss due to chronic ear infections. It's not pretty.
    CurvieMomma

Answer by CurvieMomma at 10:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2009