what happened to Sodom? This is a quote and not all of my writing.

"religious conservatives generally believe that God decided to destroy the adults, children, infants, newborns, and buildings in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because the men in the town wanted to engage in homosexual acts.
Religious liberals generally believe that God decided to exterminate the townspeople because they were uncharitable to strangers and to the poor. Their desire to "know" the angels was not a sexual invitation. It was a desire to humiliate the angels by a physical attack -- publicly raping them."
Which point of view is God's Message? Is this issue something that can really differ from Christian to Christian. This passage has a lot to do with how people view homosexuals, so it is kind of important.

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol, I'm one of the ones who believes the second - I think I've even answered questions with this version of the Sodom story.
    If you're really super interested, you can look up the study guide to "for the bible tells me so" and it addresses homosexuality from these views - its great! the documentary itself is wonderful, too!
    and, you're right, it does have a lot to do with how ppl view homosexuality. believing this way, i don't believe its a sin - i believe that the bible is referring to pederasty, and not consensual relationships.
    (pederasty is/was homosexual prostitution, homosexual rape, and pedophilia - i've posted my source before and don't remember it offhand....)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• however, homosexuality is also referred to in the New Testament and called a sin.. therefore even if you go with the other train of thought regarding Sodom and it not referring to homosexuality... it is still called a sin in the New Testament.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009