oops... accidently closed it... I wanna know why...

Why are Christians so quick to judge others? Such as their religion, sexual preference, opinions? Isn't this a direct quote from the bible telling them not to. And no I am not a Christian.

Matthew 7:1-3 (King James Version)

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

vchristineg

Asked by vchristineg at 2:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes but we must devide the Word correctly and not run with one passage!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• this topic is like a dead horse. keep reading those passages the bible is clear when we are to judge and not judge. Therefore, yes Christians are at times called to judge. If they are quick about it they just know their religion a little better and can jump on board quickly.

How did you accidentally close a question? It is like a 3 step process. First you have decide on the best answer, then click on the best answer and then say yes I want to close the question. Or did you just want to bring this topic of you judging Christians back to the front. You do know you are sitting in judgment on Christians judging right?
    Anonymous

• I am not a christian so therefore I was not told by "my lord and savior" not to judge.
    vchristineg

Answer by vchristineg at 3:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Christians aren't the ONLY people passing judgements. Why is it that everyone thinks it's just Christians?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I encourage you not to take those scriptures out of context. Try reading the whole chapter and find out who the author was speaking to and why.

The bible instructs christians to rightly divide the world.
    A two blade sword has two functions .. rightly divide the word , one side slices through like butter the Word of God and it will not be as painful but the other side is jagged and it will hurt because it tears.
    We are to use the smooth side to present what is write and what is wrong. Those that have the heart to believe the ears to hear and the eyes to see will be open to correction, those that do not will fight against the truth.
    There is a difference between judging, correction, rebuke and instruction.
    If we did not inform you of sin then many may not be aware they are in sin. We do not do it to judge but to be made aware of what is sin and what is not according to the Word of God. We cannot change you but we can.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• point you into the right direction and it is up to you to choose to go that way or not.
    Christians are instructed to judge sin inside the church. So if your not a Christian that it really is none of your concern.
    When I say murder is wrong, that is not judgment , that is a truth that I believe because God says He hates murder. If I said You are going to hell for it, that is judgment and that is not my place, I have taken God's place and that is wrong. Now if I said the bible says that if you do not choose to beleive in Jesus Christ as Savior then there are consequences for denying Him. That is a statement that is to instruct you or point you into the right direction. God's Word is truth and we must follow it. ( Christians) We will be judged ourselves for what we did and didn't do so don't think God is letting us off the hook either.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• John 8 :32
    And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Shaneagle I commend you on your very well worded and explained post. I agree with you, it is the ones that go into a pagan question and tell us we are all going to hell that annoy me. Pagan by the way means someone of non-christian beliefs. There are many religions that fall under this terminology.
    vchristineg

Answer by vchristineg at 3:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• "When I say murder is wrong, that is not judgment , that is a truth that I believe because God says He hates murder. If I said You are going to hell for it, that is judgment and that is not my place, I have taken God's place and that is wrong."

Thank you Shaneagle, for putting this very important distinction into words. It does seem that general modern society blurs distinguishing right from wrong (using one's judgment for the truth)together with condemning others.

Secularists in particular spend a lot of energy declaring that we should not condemn others (which is correct), BUT they blur that over into never condemning any deed as right or wrong either. This hazy thinking leads to a philosophy that there IS no right/wrong, better/worse, success/failure - it's called "Relativism".

And THAT is the basis for the disagreements betw. moral/secular, conservative/liberal. Relativism is at its core disconnected from reality
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Very well put Shaneagle. I agree with you.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009