You all got me so confused now! What exactly IS DAYCARE??? Would you consider places like La petite Academy and Headstart daycare?

I was going to put my 2 year old in preschool. We chose La Petite Academy because I have only heard GOOD things about the place. We just had a tour the other day. Now these people on here are calling it a daycare. I am a SAHM so I dont need to put her in a daycare. I could just teach her at home, KWIM?? No offense pls to all working moms. I just dont understand anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Daycare is a place to drop off your children during the day while you take care of whatever you need to. Preschool they actually have a curriculum that they follow to prepare them for kindergarten. So, headstart and La Petite Academy are in fact PRESCHOOLS.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I say if your stay at home moms than daycare or gymboree could be of great use even if you have her in daycare for a couple hours. you toddler will at least learn to be around other kids and socialize.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would say that a preschool is something that is strickly for 3-5 year olds...and it has preschool in its name. A daycare will take younger kids then age 3. A preschool you would only go to a couple times a week.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 3:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• DAYCARE is for working moms where children are in the care of daycare providers for more than 4 hours per day. The focus is on providing a safe environment, and social interaction. Very few include instructional programs.

PRESCHOOL is primarily for SAHM (unless grandparents bring them to/from) whose children attend a school environment for 2-4 hours 2 or 3 days per week. The focus is educational basics, structured games,activities and programs, learning classroom rules and following directions.

Some preschools offer specialized instruction and extended day hours, but the focus is education.

I too, am just finishing up my 7 1/2 year stint as a SAHM and both of my children attended several preschools. In the fall my youngest will be in full day Kindergarten, so it's my turn to go back to work--outside the home, that is! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm a SAHM with a 2 yr old. I looked into preschools for him for the fall. . Day care will take children from infants up. They provide services all day. The focus of the services will vary based on the age of the child. As the kids get older, the day care program gets more focused on education (equivalent to a preschool). Preschools typically take children starting at 2 1/2 or 3 and are usually only half day programs. However, some day care centers also provide preschool programs that can be used by people who only want half-day, partial week programs and some preschools provide extended day programs. TYpically a preschool that's associated with a day care center will be more expensive (but may offer more flexible options) than a stand alone preschool.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Daycare and preschool are the same thing in my opinion. Doesn't matter how you dress it up, it's the same thing. A place for kids to be dropped off by their parents while their parents pretend that the kids are learning something new.
    Anonymous

• Daycare just watches the kids, keeps them safe, fed, and reasonably clean. They have toys, may have a storytime, an organized activity or two, maybe some organized play time.

Preschool is much more structured. They have lessons - not always "sit-down-and-learn" lessons but lessons all the same. They may spend a day learning about flowers - making them in craft time, singing about them in songtime, hearing a story about them, coloring a picture of them. No matter how low-key the lessons, the kids are still being exposed to and taught new things - from topics like fire trucks to the ABC's.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If it take children all day, it is a daycare. In my opinion, I don't see how they can also be a preschool that will work for 2-4 hours. If I were looking for a preschool, I'd look for one that lasts less than 4 hours, and that that is the only thing it does.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I really think it depends on the daycare. The last one my kids went to before I was a SAHM had a daily learning ciriculum like a preschool would have. But the one before that was really just a place I dropped them off to play while I went to work. My DS will be 3 soon, and I've put much thought into teaching him at home myself.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i dont think i understand this question fully. where i live the preschool or pre-k is listed with the school its on the elementary school campus they do two classes a day each four hours and the kids are more than welcome to ride a bus just like school anything other than that is day care if its not with a reputable school then it is day care and if you are willing to teach him from home then just do that till he is ready for kindergarten oh and preschool is for kids who are at least 4 on september 9th. anything younger and you are looking at a day care with a fancy name.
    audreyhv6207

Answer by audreyhv6207 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2009