How old were they when you let them take public transportation?

My girl is 13, and will be going into the 8th grade next year. She turns 14 in November. With the summer coming up, I have a feeling she is going to want to take the metro bus, to get to friends house, or to go to the mall. And I am nervous. I'm sure she'd be fine. But I'm still very nervous. This is suck a big step, and a huge step into being street smart and responsible. And I know I can't keep her locked up forever...

So I'm just curious, how old were your teens when they started taking the bus?

mommyaunt412

Asked by mommyaunt412 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm only 19 and the only time my mom let me take the bus is when she didn't know haha. Every time I did though, it was no big deal. I think it's best to not be alone though until she's older. 13 seems a bit young to me.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If your girl is really street smart let her go. Make sure she has a cel phone.
    lizrider

Answer by lizrider at 6:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Depends where you live, what the bus is like, how mature your daughter is. We live in a nice rural area, and my kids occassionally take the buses to see friends at other school (when the buses are full of other kids!).

My 15 year old boy recently started taking the bus to the mall. I'd be a bit more hesitant with a girl to be honest - our area is nice,but there are alot of men on the bus going from one big town to another. In general, I'd always say that she should go with a friend or two, and make sure they vow to stick together (no weird stuff where she'd end up alone). You might start by doing a few trips with her - and let her lead the way (pay the ticket, check the time, etc.)... and of course, make sure she has a cell phone with her.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 10:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughter will be 14 in August and is starting high school in September. She will be taking public transit to and from school. It is a six year HS program, though they bus the 7th and 8th graders. She has taken public transit herself a couple of times, and probably thousands of times with us.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009