does anyone ever feel overwhelmed with you 3 year old

i get so frustrated sometimes with my 3 year old dd and it seems like she purposly tries to make me mad. she will make a mess and then come up to me like shes proud of it and tell me to look and she wont go poop on the tiolet on purpose and she screams and throw a fit all the time sometimes over nothing! we dicipline her and punish her for those actions but its not seeming to work. anyone else feel this way

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh yeah...its not even funny! Except mines a 26 mth old boy..omg drives me nutz! I love em to death but man at times i want to pack and run! I used to love being a sahm..until he turned two. hehe
    Anonymous

• sorry, no, thank God my dd is pretty well behaved, there are times when she gets whiney but only if she's sleepy
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Three year olds are sometimes the hardest. Forget the terrible two's, they were easy compared to a 3 year old. Your child has learned that they can be in control and make something happen or not happen. Example, the pooping in the potty, she can control that. If a little person gets a big response and attention from you because they misbehave or won't do what you want, they do get a lot of satisfaction from that. I think alot of what your dd is doing is to get your attention and also have a little control and get a "Rise out of mom!"
    Consider trying a positive approach to managing her behavior instead of punishment. "Catch her being good" or praise/reward the good behavior that you like and it will increase. Children will do anything for your attention, even if the attention they get from you is negative. Stay calm when she makes a mess and help her clean it up. Then praise her for helping you. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I can relate. My son will be 3 in about 2 1/2 months & he is going through this phase, where he likes to do things just to see if I will get mad. He will even ask me "are you mad mommy?" I have learned to use humor with him & it really seems to help. Whenever he thinks he is being cleaver & doing something bad, I find a way to turn it into a joke or game & then make him clean up the mess. It has worked so much better then discipline did. I figure it is a phase & it will pass. I did read somewhere that at age 3 they are much more aware of emotions & curious about what causes different emotions in their parents. So getting a rise out of us is almost like an experiement to them & they like to see how far they can go. But sometimes I swear they just want to frustrate us. LOL.
    Domino0201

Answer by Domino0201 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son is 4 now but I felt this way from 2 till 4yrs. old and I read lots of books, and can to the conclusion that kids need to have a basic schedule with age approiate chores to teach responsibility. For example my child wakes up at 7am, makes his bed and takes a shower befoer getting dressed on off to daycare every morning ( not without my hepl of course) but my point is he knowes what is expected of him because of my persistance! So I can't say my child is the most well behaved, but he knows that for every action there is a reaction. So I would suggest taht you try putting your child on a schedule and it will be a challenge for you at first but stick it out it will help.
    mizz.mica

Answer by mizz.mica at 12:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Whew ! I thought it was just me. I was scared to put a question on about my 3yr old because I did'nt want to seem like a bad mother, but now that I am in good company. I am spill it all. (lol)
    My three year old just never stops talking and never ever stops moving and jumping and pouncing and bouncing and talking and talking. That is what drives me nuts! She is better some days and pretty much knows when I mean business. She is just so (grown ) and always does things not one tells her to do. She takes it upon her self to do what she wants. But as I said the most annoying is the constant talking and never being still not even for five minutes. Except when Sprout is on.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yo Gabba Gabba. It stops children in their tracks. Gives you 27 minutes of peace. Try it.

Yeah. It recently went from being just me and my son to us living with my best friend, his five siblings, and his mom. So of course the tantrums weren't completely unexpected, but they are very, very difficult to handle. I just cannot keep my cool when he throws himself down on the stairs and screams and whines that his legs don't work, or if someone looks at his toy he screeches that they are going to snatch it. It's tough, and it may not be the healthiest approaches, but either I take him into our room and shut the door, take myself into the room and shut the door, or I turn on a movie or show that he likes. It totally distracts him from whatever his issue was.
    Kodeekins

Answer by Kodeekins at 9:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• YES! I don't have much expand on, the other posters got the idea! My daughter is three and crazy and LOUD. I noticed that when I give her things to do and stick to a schedule it curbs her defiance. Challenging toys and activities are the key. For example, she was driving me nuts pre-dinner time. Always sitting at the table begging and screaming for "good nummies". Solution? I had her help set the table. Hope this helped in some small way & good luck!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm overwhelmed with my 3yr old and it doesn't help that i am also 25wks preg with #2 and hubby hardly every helps out. The only time i can get him to help is when i am so pissed that i scream at him then he decides to help. And the one thing that makes me mad is that dd used to listen to me great then dh started telling her that "he was the boss" and now he wonders why she doesn't listen to me!!! It drives me insane or when i try to disapline her for something she did wrong he jumps in and spankes her.. Then wonders why she treats me like a door mat.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009