is it ok to have an inside dog with a newborn baby?

kisses67

Asked by kisses67 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• um if the dog is properly trained and has all shots etc of course it is
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i'd never have a dog in my house, babies or not, it's nasty
    Anonymous

• Dogs aren't nasty if taken care of properly. I have a Siberian Husky who has actually been GREAT with our son from birth-up. Just don't leave your baby on the ground or unattended with the dog inside. ALWAYS be careful because even if your dog is just playing it could hurt the baby on accident. Make sure the dog knows to keep "down" and won't jump up on the baby either.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yeah but you need to make sure you closely watch the dog. There was a woman a couple years back that thought her dog was trained so while her baby slept she went to take a quick shower, meanwhile she left the dog in the room. When she came back the dog had mauled her newborn. So as long as you watch your dog closely. Oh also if your dog begins acting jealous just give the dog more attention and try and make the dog feel more included, this way the dog is protective over the baby instead of jealous of the baby and protective over you.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yes. But never, ever leave the dog alone with the baby. Not even if the baby is in his crib or someplace else the dog "can't get to". If the dog is jealous, it may hurt the baby. Even if the dog is just curious and friendly, it may hurt the baby by accident. And babies tend to pull ears and tails as they get older - causing the dog to snap or nip to defend itself.

Did you know that half of all dog bites are from friendly, family pets that have never bitten anyone before?

Never, ever leave a beloved family dog alone with a child under 2.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We have 2 German Shepherds we adore that are inside. But we NEVER leave them alone w/ the baby. If I want my lo to sit in her swing while I clean or take a shower the dogs stay outside. While we don't think they would hurt her, we know that even unintentially they could.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yes, it is. When we first brought our daughter home, we put her down on the floor (in her car seat) and let him sniff her. She's 9 months now and he's great with her. Youjust have to watch for jealousy from the dog towards your new baby.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Never, ever leave a beloved family dog alone with a child under 2.

I would include this for probably all children under 5 but I'm not familiar with 5 year olds to really say. I just know that my DD is 2.5 and she will still try to pull the dog's tail or "love" it to death. I do not leave her alone with the animals.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2009