What am i going to do with all this squash.

So, our garden is doing very well for the first year we have done one. Now i am getting squash ready to pick everyday, and someof them are huge. I have given some away to family members but i still have more than i can cook . I would have to cook some everyday in order to keepit from ruining. Any suggesions on what to do with it. Can you can it or what ever it is called, or pickle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Freeze it or use as you would pumpkin!
    Caliea

Answer by Caliea at 4:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm not sure if you can pickle it, but I think you could probably sell some of your squash for a cheaper price than at the market. A lot of families are looking for cheaper deals in the produce area. Not only will you be helping others, but you can make a little money as well. :) Here's a recipe I'm actually cooking right now and it uses squash.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nuevo-chipotle-beef-in-butternut-squash-boats-nuevo-latino-beef-dishes-recipe/index.html

Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 4:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Make casseroles with them with a lil cream, parm cheese, and bread crumbs, and freeze it. I add shredded zuchinni to frittatas and scrambled eggs. Also to spaghetti sauce. Just dice, and freeze, then add to soups later.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Every year I have an abundant amount of veggies from my garden. I freeze and can as much as possible. The remaining amount I take to some of the needy families in our town/area; I just drop it off on their porch.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• give it to me i LOVE sqash
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 7:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Another idea would be to donate your leftover squash to your local food banks or homeless shelters. They love fresh produce, and there are so many out of work right now who need the assistance.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Cut into bite sized chunks, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and onion powder. Place in a tinfoil pan and cook on the grill. You can add, zucchini, green peppers and onions. YUMMY!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I also would say to try to donate it to food banks or homeless shelters. Anything like that, they should be thankful for it. Its a great way to help people too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have tons of recipes!! Here are a few, contact me for details.

Italian Lentil and Squash Stew
    Squash Yakitori
    Diary free Mac & Cheeze
    Brown rice and vegetable stuffed squash
    Tex-Mex Squash Casserole

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2009