can a prayer for a person who doesn't believe work?

If a pagan prays to a goddess for a person but that person doesn't belive in a goddess or a Christians prays for an atheist is that prayer really going to work if the person being prayed for has no faith?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe it can. YOU are petition YOUR deity for them. I am constantly sending out "white light" (a healing force). I don't always have a target. Sometimes I just send it out so that someone that is in need of healing or strength gets it. I think it is a nice gesture and it is one of my ways of giving back some of the good I have been shown by others.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well, as a Christian I believe that prayers to God works, no matter the circumstance. If has nothing to do with whether that person believes in God or not. As far as things or people or goddesses etc, imo they are not lving, so they will not answer prayers, but I do believe that God knows and can hear us, no matter what and He will decide what actions He will take or how He will approach each individual.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Depends upon the Will of the person being prayed for, I believe. Prayers (or spells) cannot interfere with Free Will.

For instance, If a Christian wants to pray for me to "Find Jesus", ain't gonna happen.  For it is not my Will to be a Christian...if it was, I'd be one!  But I am quite happy in my Pagan ways. But just like you cannot (should not) cast a spell (or say a prayer) to make someone love you, you cannot pray (or cast) that someone's Will be changed.  That's totally unethical.

to be continued...

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• However, if a Christian (or Muslim, or Jew, or Hindu, or Recon, or whatever) wants to pray to God/Jesus/whomever for my general health and well being...I totally welcome that! I believe all gods are one God (all goddesses, one Goddess) so it's all the same Davine energy...just a different route.

Does that make sense?
    MamaK88

• I had a Christian pray for me to find Jesus all my life, and it happened, LOL. My grandma prayed for me every day, even though I didn't want it and I did NOT want to be a Christian. I am so happy that she got to see it before she died : )

Yes, if I pray for someone it works even if they are a non-Christian and even if it takes years. There are examples in the Bible of people coming to Jesus with a request on behalf of someone else and Jesus answered those prayers. One time a father brought his demon possessed son and Jesus delivered the boy, because of the father's faith. "Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic [fn] and suffers severely; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water." Matthew 17:15. Did the boy want to be delivered? It doesn't say. Did the boy choose to seek the Lord? no. So someone else sought the Lord on his behalf, and he was delivered.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The person has to be open to it for it to help. Which is why I have the courtesy to ask if it would be ok for me to input some positive energy. It's going to sound weird for those who don't understand, but as I meditate I feel the energy growing. When I am ready to release it I feel it leaving. I don't know if it "works" or not, but I do know it was sent. I figure if they feel better then maybe just maybe it helped.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• A Christian wouldn't ask a pagan for spiritual guidance or for prayer. The two are total opposites ...

On the other hand, a Christian can and does pray for those who do not believe in-or have any use at all for God. Why? Because they are lovingly concerned for them and want them to live wholly and fully. FYI, God doesn't need an unbeliever's "permission" to work in their lives. A Christian's prayer will shield that unbeliever from the wrath of the evil one while God blesses them according to the Christian's prayer request.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Positive energy is positive energy. Prayer or spellcraft are both arteries for positive--and sometimes negative--energy. If there is good behind it then it will work. Negative prayers or spells however, seldom work well and often backfire. Whatsoever you put out whether for good or ill will come back to you three times over. In other words, do unto others!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2009