Ok, so what's your opinion on...

I have just seen several references (questions and answers) mentioning how much money a Priest, Pastor, whatever you call them in your Church, makes.

So, I'm wondering now, how much do YOU think they SHOULD be paid? What's your opinion based on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think they should live comfortably for the area they are in, whatever that may be. Think about how much time and energy they put into being a Priest (I'm Catholic)...they are at your beck and call basically. Because of a shortage in my area our Priest does Mass at 3 different Churches and that's every day of the week at at least one of them. On top of that he has to make time to do Last Rites, Marriages, Reconciliation (confession), he does baptisms and confirmations, blessings of the sick etc. etc. etc. That man works harder and is more selfless than any other person I've ever met in my life...I say if all he wants are a few luxuries like an espresso machine (he has one) in return, give him an espresso machine!
    Anonymous

• nothing....i think they should make nothing. After their bills are paid why should they save money in the bank? Jesus was not about people making money from preaching his teachings.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• samurai chica thats ignorant. That is their job, just like others have a job. If you knew how much time pastors actually put into the church and members you'd be surprised. If you don't go to church then I guess your answer doesn't surprise me. If you do- then maybe you should get a little behind the scenes.

I think that after all the bills are paid- They should get a wage that would have him live comfortably. Whatever that may be depending on where they live.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• depending on the family size enough to squeak by right above the poverty level. Most of get shelter and utilities so there should little needed afterwords. I guess i would say between 25 and 35,000 again depending on the family size.

I think Catholic priest are taken care of by the church and dont make much of anything. They get an allowance.
    Anonymous

• I agree that it depends on their family size, along with if they have other means of income. Many pastors take it on as a full time obligation and need and income just as any other working person does.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The bible says in 1 Timothy 5:17 - double honor. I have no problem with my pastors being paid or living well. I don't understand why we have a problem with men of God who have given their lives to serve and be there.. show up at hospitals, pray at all times of night, be there for us, teach us, guide us etc.. being paid well.. Yet politicians, lawyers, business men, corporate presidents.. rake in tons and really do nothing for us... and we don't complain about what they are paid, what they drive, or what they wear.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well, I don't really feel that anyone should make nay more then anyone else. But, since that isn't going to happen, I guess I am s.o.l. And, yes, pastors, priests or whatever they call themselves do have hard work, they CHOOSE to do it. Did Jesus get paid for preaching his gospel? And aren't most pastors supposed to follow his example?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I guess it is up to the congregation, but since most get their homes, bills and other expenses paid for thru the Church it should not to much more above that.
    Some say that Pastors, Priests and Minsters work harder than most and 24/7 well me tell you a little story...
    My Dh is the one who sees those who the Preachers will be praying over in their coffins... My dh works 24/7 litteraly... 365 days a yr and barely gets appreciated or paid for his job.
    So in my eyes no they do not... Jesus wasn't paid for his work and he worked hard to get the word of God out... (JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• They shouldn't be paid to teach the truth. What's wrong with making a living at secular jobs like everyone else? I think if they do it for free, and in a bonafide manner, God will see that they make ends meet.
    Anonymous

• Does anyone know anything about Honor?
    It is honorable and gracious to want to help your Pastor out .
    The bible says to give is better than to receive.
    I believe it was Paul that spoke about supporting those who minister in your church.
    1 Corinthian 9 talks about it . Its long so its best to go to the chapter on Bible Gate way yourself.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2009