Anyone have a child going into kindergarten this year or did last year?

I just went to kindergarten orientation today and I was completely blown away. I thought my son was ahead of the curve based on what other kids were being taught in prek until today. The teachers told us that the children are expected to be reading when they go into kindergarten. I was like READING? HUH? I didn't learn to read until the last part of 1st and then again in 2nd grade. From the print out we got, they will also be doing addition and subtraction and some fractions and simple geometry. Geometry? Are you kidding me? I didn't take that till high school. I thought my son was doing great by writing letters by himself. Well, apparently he supposed to be writing words and by the end of the year he will have to be writing 3-4 word sentences on his own. AHHH! I can't believe this...And the worst part...they said NO CHUBBY pencils!! Ugh..
Is it just me or are they expecting WAY too much out of little kids these days?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• omg! now i'm terrified my daughter will be going in 2 years and i thought she was ahead of the curve for the stuff she knows...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• wow what state are you in? my son wrote cat, dog it, the ..you know things like that in pre-k...and he always wrote half the letters backward
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yes maam.

I am a K teacher and that is why I get on my soap box about mothers wanting to skip K or are questioning holding back a younger child for a year.

I try hard to inform them that K is way more than nap and playtime these days. ;)

He will do fine though, sounds like he is on track. My son (5) came home with a worksheet that said Algebra at the top of it. lol. Of course it was just pre algebra ideas page but still just the words being on the page was sort of strange.

Good luck! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I teach K too, and no we don't expect kids to read coming in. I'd love them to know letters and be able to write their own first name. That does not happen all the time. My son will start K in the fall, and he's not reading. You can check out your state's benchmarks on you state website in the education section. Kids do not have to go to school until age 6, legally so K is not mandatory (at least in MI) where I am. It is a pivotal grade, and I do feel K is the new 1st grade, but don't get to worried. Try out starfall.com for some learning-computer fun with your child.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well I opted out of Prek because he was ahead of all the other children in his class and he was extremely bored. I didn't want to waste 500/month for them to teach him nothing. I have taught him myself all year. I am not a teacher but I do have my BA in communications and this year I'll have my MBA. I created the "usual" and an advanced curriculum for him to learn this year. He writes his letters and numbers on his own, knows states and capitals and the general information about the solar system, bugs and plants. He's not even close to reading yet. We do phonics games and he watches leap frogs " letter factory", but he's having a hard time with it. His friend is the same age and he can't write letters at all and I know the prek that he was going to said they didn't have to write on their own until 1st grade. I know I wasn't the only shocked parent in that room today. I heard the "gasps" . lol

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son just completed kindergarten. He went in knowing his letters (could sound them out and write them); now, he can read level 1 books on his own. As far as math goes, he did learn simple addition and some subtraction. For geometry, he learned more extensively about shapes than what he already knew (octagon, pentagon, and can tall you which shapes are the same even if they're flipped). He only knew how to write his first and last name before entering kindergarten. Now, he can write anything he can sound out with few mistakes. He was the oldest kid in his class (his bday is right after the cutoff), which is why I think he did so well. However, I'm sure your son will do great too! Don't pressure him. It will all come naturally. My only advice is to be sure you're reading to him daily if you don't already do that.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 5:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well, both of my middle kids would have failed that kindergarten. My son graduated in 2008 and my daughter just graduated kindy last week. Neither could read at the end of kindergarten. My son is going into 2nd grade and is just barely reading but is starting to get the hang of it. His 1st grade teacher was proud of all the progress he made. I'll be teaching my 6yo how to read over the summer so she won't be so far behind like her brother was.
    They did start doing simple adding and subtracting the last month of school (only up to 5s) but they mostly worked on the letter of the week and printing letters.
    I think a lot of schools expect way too much from 5 and 6 year olds anymore. Our school is a lot like I remember it from when I was a kid but they didn't learn as much as I would have liked.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Glad they didn't expect that at my daughter's K Assessment in April.

She knows letters and how to write her name, and Mom and Dad as well. She knows her numbers up to 15 then it gets fuzzy. That's fine and she came out as average. The only thing they want us to make sure she knows is her address and phone number. We've since learned address and are about to start working on phone number.

I am disappointed however, the K here is only 1/2 day and with all I know they learn in K anymore, I know that's not enough.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 8:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I know you are freaked out, but everything will be okay. It's totally normal to worry. I did also and my daughter made it through kindergarten just fine. She is now reading stage 1 and stage 2 books, can add and subtract, can tell time by the hour and half hour, can right sentences and even do word search puzzles. Kids at this age are like sponges they want to learn. And don't worry about the chubby pencils...they don't allow them here either...kids don't even miss them. As a pp mention www.starfall.com is a fabulous website. Also, www.uptoten.com and www.funbrain.com. The Bob books are great for beginner readers!
    CurvieMomma

Answer by CurvieMomma at 10:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• ty for the learning sites my dd failed k she had problems with writing but she will be ok i didnt want her to go into 1st grade not knowing what she needed .. we lie in michign.. teachermom01 ty for ur help and curviemomma tyty
    popieyes2

Answer by popieyes2 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 10, 2009