One year old temper tanturms

My son is 1 year old, and has recently just started massive temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way. I have tried a few minutes in his crib to chill out, and everytime i say "No hunter, don't touch" or whatever he is doing at the moment, it's a monumental melt down and It makes me so upset because I don't know what he is so upset over because he can't tell me. What can i do

mommyhunters423

Asked by mommyhunters423 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• omg....i can use some help too...my son is 16 months old and drops to the floor when i take something from him, and get this...he even bangs his little face on the tile floor making his lip bleed every other day :(
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• try teaching him words to express himself. it sounds really weird when you read the book, but there is a book called the happiest toddler on the block and it makes sense when you do what it suggests. it teaches you how to speak their language etc...
    otherwise, just time outs when he throws the tantrum, my daughter laughs at me b/c when she starts to throw one i tell her i don't speak that language and she has to go to time out until she can speak a language i understand, however shes 3 so she gets that. just put him in time out when he starts a tantrum than when he gets out talk to him, tell him a way to show you his feelings w/o yelling and screaming. he's upset he isn't getting his way, thats why he gets mad and throws the tantrums, so theres nothing you can do about that, he'll have to learn that w/you teaching him. time out, if he tries to get out than put him back in and start the time over again. for a 1 yr old i'd CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• put him in for a min to two mins. just long enough for him to realize he's in trouble. and if the tantrum doesn't stop after that than talk to him, if you talk really quietly he has to quiet down to hear you so that might work too.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Instead of saying "no" why don't you redirect him or distract him some way. I think time outs are good, but not as a use of punishment, but as a way to have some "cool off" time and time to regather and help you feel better. I hope that helps. I have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 11 month year old... both have their moments of temper tantrums! I couldn't believe that my 11 month old has already started lol.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• never had that problem
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• my dd is 19 mos and still does that! I usually make her look me in the eye and I explain to her she is allowed to be upset or frustrated, but that behavior is not ok! I look at it like frustration, anger and sadness are something to be felt just like happiness and being excited so I tell her to know that its frustration and I ask her why she's so frustrated and give my ideas of how she got that way! I do not like the crying so I do make her sit on the couch so she can calm down and I won't talk to her until she is! It used to take a WHILE but now it's maybe 2 minutes and she's ready to "talk" about it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son has done this - he's 19 months old - I just put him in time out, explain what he did wrong and walk away - let him have a melt down - its teaching them they can't do something - if they get up - set him back down in the same spot - and repeat until they dont' get up - my son gets 1 minute of time outs right not cause he's 1.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My DS is 15 month old and does the samething. So times I can't help but laugh because he gets in a crawling position then kicks his legs back like bull. Guess you'd have to see it!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• honestly that is more than normal i just read an article on it yesterday actually. that at this age i have a 17 month old by the way they dont understand to explain themselves. they are just now understanding that they are able to do things on their own. plus they are learning socially acceptable behavior. the melt downs are the only way they understand to let you know that they are angry or hurt or sad or frustrated. i try to talk to my dd first but usually that just makes it worse i try not to raise my voice as best i can and put her in her crib with the door shut it gives us both a time to cool off. dont worry too much once he learns acceptable behavior from you it will taper off. good luck.
    audreyhv6207

Answer by audreyhv6207 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2009